Bread the stuff of life

• 527 Replies

hamstergbert

Re: Bread the stuff of life
« Reply #375 on: February 24, 2017, 11:05 »
Had a blooper with my bread last week i totally forbot about it and it over proved and was starting to flatten , all i can say was it was edable this weeks was much better watched it like a hawk.
chrissie b
If dough overproves and starts to flatten, knock it back, knead it again, and it will rise again.

Extra iterations of the knock-back / prove cycle can make the eventual crust perhaps a little denser than ideal, but I reckon the only effects on the taste of the bread are wholly positive.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

chrissie B

« Reply #376 on: February 24, 2017, 18:57 »
Will do it next time but not planning on doing it again , thanks for info .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

chrissie B

« Reply #377 on: February 25, 2017, 17:55 »
Request for marmite baggette done today for hubby he loces them i do stripes of marmite and cheese and then roll up to prove its very tasty .
chrissie b

chrissie B

« Reply #378 on: March 01, 2017, 17:35 »
Omg made the oaty bread the first time today and its so tastyand nutty where the oats are oon the out side yum yum .
chrissie b

compostqueen

« Reply #379 on: March 01, 2017, 21:23 »
It's gorgeous int it. Which reminds me i got a fresh  bag of oats today

chrissie B

« Reply #380 on: March 02, 2017, 17:05 »
It was so soft and fluffy , dont know if that any thing to do with the oats it was sacralidge to toast a bit but toasts my thing very nice flavour .
Chrissie b

compostqueen

« Reply #381 on: March 03, 2017, 14:08 »
Got me thinking!  I got a new food processor today, with DOUGH HOOK!

Not unpacked it yet  :D

chrissie B

« Reply #382 on: March 03, 2017, 18:14 »
Don't let anything hold you back , i think once you get the bread bug theres nothing you can do .
i used to be frightened to try and i dont take defeat easily but now i look at my bread and think take that mr holliwood .
chrissie b

compostqueen

« Reply #383 on: March 03, 2017, 20:47 »
To be fair Paul does spread the love 🙂  I love his olive bread 🍞

I love handmade bread. It's only getting your hands on a piece of dough that helps you understand it. Me and the bread machine parted company very quickly 🙂  Here I am now, contemplating using a dough hook 😡🙂

oldgrunge

« Reply #384 on: March 04, 2017, 17:02 »
To be fair Paul does spread the love 🙂  I love his olive bread 🍞

I love handmade bread. It's only getting your hands on a piece of dough that helps you understand it. Me and the bread machine parted company very quickly 🙂  Here I am now, contemplating using a dough hook 😡🙂

I learned a lot about bread making from Paul Hollywood, although I do feel I've moved on. There Is a book by Elizabeth David called English Bread and Yeast Cookery, well worth reading if you're interested in breadmaking. I picked mine up in a charity shop for 25p.

Edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 17:35 by New shoot »
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

compostqueen

« Reply #385 on: March 05, 2017, 17:00 »
Good for you!  I might have a rummage in Oxfam as they have loads of cookbooks, all beautifully filed  :D
I bet it's a good one. I think she penned that when she was laid up and had time on her hands  :)
I have a good Den Leppard one

hamstergbert

« Reply #386 on: March 06, 2017, 07:46 »
....Here I am now, contemplating using a dough hook 😡🙂

I used to have a bread maker that I only used on dough setting, then learned how to do it manually and never used the bread maker again after that.  Eventually however I was chuffed to bits when I got my stand mixer complete with dough hook and there is no doubt it made the whole process very quick and easy.

But.....   after probably less than a year I found that I was no longer using the machine, instead preferring almost every time to get my hands in there.  Probably not that much difference to the finished product but somehow thoroughly enjoyable / therapeutic in a way that the mechanical approach just.... wasn't..

I bet I am not the only one though....

snowdrops

« Reply #387 on: March 06, 2017, 09:33 »
....Here I am now, contemplating using a dough hook 😡🙂

I used to have a bread maker that I only used on dough setting, then learned how to do it manually and never used the bread maker again after that.  Eventually however I was chuffed to bits when I got my stand mixer complete with dough hook and there is no doubt it made the whole process very quick and easy.

But.....   after probably less than a year I found that I was no longer using the machine, instead preferring almost every time to get my hands in there.  Probably not that much difference to the finished product but somehow thoroughly enjoyable / therapeutic in a way that the mechanical approach just.... wasn't..

I bet I am not the only one though....

Exactly the same here HGBT.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

compostqueen

« Reply #388 on: March 06, 2017, 20:50 »
If you have your hands on it you know what it kneads 😀

chrissie B

« Reply #389 on: March 07, 2017, 15:34 »
To be honest i use my hook but onlytill its brouht togeather then i finish off by hand , ive nothing against paul holliwood having 3 of his books i just think of that steely eye being cast over my bread i think it makes you strive to be better , hubbys away for the weekend so inbetween the painting of the front room , the painting of the outside wall and the painting of the garden seating i may bake something  exciting ideas please.
chrissie b

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 54 queries.