Slugs and snails

• 2 Replies

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Slugs and snails
« on: October 23, 2007, 11:52 »
Someone has told me recently that these critters can't cope with copper.  If they come into contact with it they receive a small electrical charge.  Sounds reasonable to me - slug slime = electrolyte.

Does anyone know if this is correct?  I know it's expensive stuff but strips of copper sheet laid around plants or areas, set on edge so it's like a little copper wall.  Or would you get copper leaching into the soil and would this be bad?

Best place for it would be the scrap metal merchants where you should be able to pick up an old copper water cylinder.

WG.

Slugs and snails
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 12:19 »
This topic has had a fairly good airing before & I think it fair to say that the consensus was "over-hyped / overpriced".   Try a search.

Doesn't mean folks can't post new evidence here ...

An old copper water cylinder would certainly work if you hit them with it!  :wink:

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Slugs and snails
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 12:51 »
Quote from: "WG."
This topic has had a fairly good airing before & I think it fair to say that the consensus was "over-hyped / overpriced".   Try a search.

Doesn't mean folks can't post new evidence here ...

An old copper water cylinder would certainly work if you hit them with it!  :wink:

Hmm, thanks.  Sounded too good to be true without being common knowledge.  I'm glad I weighed three of them in at £2.50 a kilo earlier in the year rather than devote them to the slugs.  I'd been saving them for a decade after all.

xx
Slugs and snails

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post April 08, 2024, 11:44
by pepsi100
xx
slugs and snails

Started by muddifoot on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 18:43
by weeeed
xx
snails

Started by Caretaker on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post August 11, 2012, 08:34
by mobilekat
xx
Help with snails

Started by Tefleon on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 19:08
by SG6

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 38 queries.