Peppers

• 7 Replies

Fisherman

Peppers
« on: November 16, 2010, 20:17 »
I grew three lots of peppers this season in grow bags in the greenhouse from free seeds that came with a gardening magazine: - California Wonder, Romano Mixed and Cayenne Hot Pepper. They took so long to fruit and ripen I said back in September that I wouldn't bother growing them again. However Cayenne Hot Pepper have since produced loads of hot red fruit that are now in the freezer and California Wonder and Romano Mixed continue to fruit and ulnless killed off by the frost look like they will continue fruiting until the end of the month. All plants grew about 4 foot high and were a bit too big and bushy as they were on the greenhouse bench. How did you get on with your peppers?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 20:35 by Fisherman »

oldcow

• Experienced Member
Re: Peppers
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:32 »
I grew mine outside (Orange Bell, Kaibi and Jalapeno). They all did well, but it did take ages for the sweer peppers to mature and the harvest was good but not great compared to what you get from other plants in the same time and space. However, I was very happy with the jalapenos, I got tons of chillis out of the plants and they're also very pretty plants. Since I grew them in pots, they're now overwintering in my house.

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 11:41 »
I grew Cayenne, world beater and corno rosso - all outside - not much success with the latter two, but had loads of cayenne peppers - we didn't need to buy any from June - mid October, and there are still a couple ripening now - even after the frosts!!

eli

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 11:44 »
i grew three different kinds too, two mystery kinds that i grew from friends' mystery seed and one jalapeno.
the jalapeno has produced gorgeous and surprisingly juicy peppers but not as many of them as i expected (its my first year growin them) but that was almost certainly due to them simply not havin a big enough pot.
one of the others is in its second year after overwinterin in my kitchen last year, and has been wonderfully prolific, settin very early and bein SO keen to live :-) though the chillies are a little too hot for my usual uses.
i like to use LOADS of chillies for the flavour of them but with these, man, i can only use little bits :-)
and the third kind, hugely prolific but seemed to have hardly any had time to ripen to red, so i think these simply need a longer season than most i've grown so far.
they're still outside though, ripenin away and tryin their best!
a lot of varieties aren't so good for outdoor growin in the uk simply cos of our shorter season..
next year i'm growin the nice hot mystery chilli again, cos it'll be perfect dried and ground, and two new varieties to me, Albertos locoto and Sweet Aji, both from Realseeds.com
the sweet aji is a chilli pepper thats been selected for its lack of heat and its flavour, which seems interestin :-)
check out realseeds, they're definitely chilli lovers, and their whole site is just brilliant :-)

Sophie_Chilli

• Sophie's Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 13:25 »
I grew three lots of peppers this season in grow bags in the greenhouse from free seeds that came with a gardening magazine: - California Wonder, Romano Mixed and Cayenne Hot Pepper.

I had exactly the same - as I had the same magazine!  I grew the California and Romano, both outside, on a south facing wall.  They grew really well and the fruit was huge but the weather got to cold before they got a chance to ripen further.  The cayenne, like you said, took an absoloute age to grow.  I grew this indoors and at the time I had no idea how big the plant would grow!  In the end I had to out it outside (not my choice!), and had plenty of fruits but alas the weather meant they never got to the bright red stage which I was really sorry about.  I've kept all three plants, puned them back and hope I can get them through the winter to try again next yr!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 14:05 »
Seems to be a concensus so far that Cayenne peppers seem to do quite well for most people, and this year was no exception for me although I think they got set back by some rubbish compost until I realised they needed a food boost.

On the other hand, my first attempt (indoors) at Tabasco was pretty disappointing; a total of about 20 chillies from 1 plant (lots fell off!) None of them were more than about an inch long.  :(

Have yet to hear anyone praising Tabasco on here; is anyone out there happy with the results from them (and if so is there a secret?)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 15:25 »
igrew californian, cayenne, jalapeno in buckets in the g'house. all cropped and rippened well. Think getting an early start with the seeds at home  in Febuary helped

Bought 2 sad looking scotch bonnet from b&q (25p each) and grew in 7in pots on bench, only 6'ish fruits per plant but will grow my own next year and try in buckets.

i have kept thecayanne and jalapeno to see if they survive the winter

Sophie_Chilli

• Sophie's Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 12:38 »
The Prarie Fire chillies I grew were brilliant.  Nice and compact it meant I could grow these on a window sill and they were impressive (well, to me anyway as a newbie chilli grower!).  My tabascco plants were huge and I never actually got to the flower stage let alone the fruit stage which was a shame because they were great looking plants! 

Definitley time for a greenhouse!

xx
Peppers

Started by Bec1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 31, 2021, 20:08
by snowdrops
xx
Best peppers?

Started by Pimento on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 30, 2022, 18:27
by Pimento
xx
peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 17, 2007, 16:25
by sclarke624
xx
Peppers

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 22:16
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 36 queries.