Lily beetles and onions

• 9 Replies

Jilly Pickles

Lily beetles and onions
« on: April 30, 2010, 10:26 »
Hi I'm having a problem with lily beetles eating my onions sets  :( and also why can i not seem to grow spring onions from seed. I follow the packets and have check in books but still nothing grows. Do they need a lot of water ? where am i going wrong ? :unsure:

savbo

Re: Lily beetles and onions
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 10:40 »
I have NEVER got spring onions to grow - even if they germinate they die. So I've given up for now and just plant shallot sets close together, a batch every month...

Lily beetles - never had them on onions but on our lilies I just pick them off - from  underneath, otherwise they let go and fall to the floor on their back so you can't see them - and squidge them...

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 10:52 »
Oh I'm quite pleased I read this thread, I'm on my third go this year with Spring onions from seed, the first 2 go were total no-shows  >:(. If this lot don't come through I might pack them in.
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

willowman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:16 »
I'm afraid my lily beetles get a good blast of Bug-off or something similar. They really can rip through a lily plant.
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 19:01 »
Onions are part of the lily family so yes, lily beetles will attack them if they can't find lilies (their preference).  Because they like to fall to the ground if threatened, and that they cover themselves in their own feces as camaflouge, put a pale cloth or white paper below and when they fall down, you'll spot them immediately and crush them. Look all around the plants for any egg clusters as well. 

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 19:19 »
I have NEVER got spring onions to grow - even if they germinate they die. So I've given up for now and just plant shallot sets close together, a batch every month...

Lily beetles - never had them on onions but on our lilies I just pick them off - from  underneath, otherwise they let go and fall to the floor on their back so you can't see them - and squidge them...

First time we did spring onions. sorry couldnt resist showing them off again I am amazed we grew them  :blink:

Jilly Pickles

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 16:50 »

First time we did spring onions. sorry couldnt resist showing them off again I am amazed we grew them  :blink:

Great Picture whats your secret ? Thanks for the replies

jilly

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 21:03 »
Lily Beetle
 >:(
Jam jar under them give the leaf a tap, they do their thing and land into my jar- contained! Simples!
 :D 
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 21:30 »
Lily beetles get squahed underfoot, after being pivcked off carefully by hand.

Did you kow they let out a squeak too to warn their horrid friends, who then fall to the ground to hide upside down  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

zazen999

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 08:07 »
Secret to spring onions......

sow into modules, a pinch in each.

Leave them to germinate [some do take a while]...don't overwater - keep them on the dry side of wet [but not bone dry!]

Plant them out module by module. Water in. Leave to grow on.

Pick a handful at a time.

I've just started picking the ones that I sowed last sept, and they've been in the soil all winter.

xx
Flea Beetles

Started by mulletsrokk on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post April 23, 2007, 08:20
by niclala
xx
asparagus beetles

Started by nicklpool on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 11:41
by nicklpool
xx
Asparagus Beetles

Started by hotterotter on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 12:09
by milkman
xx
flea beetles

Started by Maryann on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 13:06
by Maryann

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 39 queries.