Courgette with mouldy leaves

• 7 Replies

GetOutCat

« on: July 17, 2008, 01:46 »
Hello all,

My courgette leaves have gone very mouldy on some plants. I'm careful not to water the plants, but it seems to be worsened by the wet weather. It happened last year too which was soggy.

They're in pots and producing courgettes for now, but at this rate the worst affected will be leafless soon enough - see pic:

Any thoughts?

thanks,
GOC

AdrianH

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 10:07 »
I have the same problem on a couple of my courgette plants. I presume it is mildew due to the humid weather we've had lately. I've tried spraying with a milky/water solution, but it doesn't seem to have done much to help.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 10:19 »
when you grow in pots it's tempting to water from the top. If you stood them in water it might be a better plan, let them suck up water for 10 mins and then take them out and let them drain.

You can spray the leaves with milk and water which is said to get rid of it. I've tried it on my indoor cucumbers which seemed to get mildew from the off. Increased ventilation is a good plan too

I think off the top of my head the milk to water ratio is 1 part milk to 9 parts water. Mix it up in a hand held sprayer and away you go  :D

gobs

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 10:20 »
Also make sure the root run is not dry and as with most sprays - depending on weather - they forever need re-applying. But then it rarely gets devastating in courgettes.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

GetOutCat

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 18:14 »
Thanks for the replies. I think this one is beyond saving but will give it a go with the milky spray.

I'll also try soaking the pots next time but with all the rain the leaves will still be wet.

fivespud364

• www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 20:45 »
Im afraid with this wet humid weather powdery mildew is going to be rife try removing the very worst leaves before spraying they will sprout new ones fortunately mildew though unsightly does not stop them from cropping although obviously they wont do as well as healthy plants
Everyone should grow their own veg and know where their food is coming from even if it is only a one pot on a patio or balcony Grow Something!!

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 23:06 »
may sound daft - but why are you growing in pots? I assume you have no garden space or summat like that?
Death OR Cake ???

GetOutCat

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 23:20 »
Yes, have a small garden, mostly paved, steadily expanding the borders to grow more, but I do some things in tomato pots.

I got one courgette in the ground too this year and it's about 3 times as big as the biggest potted one, so I'll just have to keep pulling up flags when our lass isn't looking.

xx
mouldy courgette leaves

Started by salmonking on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 21:17
by bravemurphy
xx
Courgettes leaves gone mouldy

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 16, 2018, 22:42
by al78
xx
courgette leaves

Started by mollyblob on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 21:26
by mollyblob
xx
Courgette leaves

Started by GaryPaula on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 09:12
by stompy

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 39 queries.