Shredding compost materials.

• 8 Replies

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
Shredding compost materials.
« on: January 11, 2015, 14:01 »
This year I'm getting into compost making.  Going to make three bins as that looks a good method.

But I've seen references to shredding the compost materials before adding to the bins.  Does anyone else do this and can you recommend a shredder?

Thanks for any replies

Adri
Peak Hives

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Re: Shredding compost materials.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 14:25 »
http://www.fredshed.co.uk/homepage.htm

fred does some good reviews on alot of stuff, i use a shredder but only for branch trimmings, its a bosch one and is excellent

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 14:36 »
I do know from experience that the cheapest house-brand shredders don't do the job well or last. 3 years in a row I have returned them. Look for replaceable/sharpen-able blades and get some spares before it gets discontinued.
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 17:21 »
Hi Adri, I got into compost big time last year and did a lot of reading and youtubing, I have made my own shredder for leaves and if dry they come out looking skeletonised, if they are wet they come out as a slurry/paste.
Its based on a vertical spindle which have steel wire and chain flails @ about 3000rpm. I also bought a second hand Ryobi shredder which was a bit rubbish but I will try and do some mods this year, I have even gone so far as to shred eggshells for the red wigglers who like birds have a crop and need to grind their food, 57 years old and getting dafter each year, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 17:35 »
http://www.fredshed.co.uk/homepage.htm

fred does some good reviews on alot of stuff, i use a shredder but only for branch trimmings, its a bosch one and is excellent

Yes, read Fred the Shed. I have one of the smaller Bosch shredders and have been surprised at what it will deal with. Like all shredders it does not particularly like too much soft green material. I bought it initially for hedge cuttings in my own and family gardens. I now bring things like cabbage stalks, raspberry prunings, asparagus stalks home from the allotment for shredding and return them to the compost heap as perfect brown material.

The softer hedge trimming also go to compost but the tougher stuff goes in my Council green bin. A whole hedge takes up very little room when chipped.

I have used cheap models in the past and spent most of the time unblocking them. They are not powerful enough and have thin blades that quickly get blunt.

Headgardener22

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 17:43 »
I had an Alko shredder for a number of years until it fell apart whilst working one day. I've replaced it with a bosch which seems to do the business. As others have said, mainly for small brushwood (if you can't cut it with loppers it won't shred is my measure), not very good for much soft green as it gets bunged up.

I pick up leaves with a rotary lawn mower which seems to shred them enough that they will form decent leaf mold after 2 years. I try not to mix leaves into the compost as they don't break down at the same rate.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 20:41 »
I have an Alko shredder that I've had for at 20 years, I shred woody prunings & herbaceous perennials when I clear spring & Autumn. If there's green sappy stuff I mix with anything woody. I shred when I can to speed up the composting process. Cabbage stalks at the plot get chopped up with the spade to speed the process. Everything will compost sooner or later. The thing with the 3  or more bin system is when you turn the material from bin  1-2-3 & so on anything that isnt as far composted can go back in to the first bin. I find adding fresh manure in layers in all the bins speeds it all considerably.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

cadalot

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 15:54 »
All the green material from the allotment I just cut up with as best I can with Secateurs or put in a bucket and used hand shears. brassica stalks get bashed with a hammer and then cut up.  Comfrey leafs get laid on top of one another then rolled into a big cigar and are them chopped up with the Secateurs.

Yes it take time but along with Coffee grounds and grass from my lawn mower, and paper from my paper shredder I have some really nice compost full of red worm on the go.   
2015-01-25 Compost Bin 2 .jpg
2015-01-25 Red Wigglers.jpg
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 15:46 by cadalot »

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 09:50 »
I put everything for the compost bins through an Allen petrol engine driven shredder as per the photo on page 76 of Johns "The Complete Vegetable Grower" book,it shreds every thing very quickly and the shredded material seems to rot down quicker than before I got the shredder,if the resultant compost is a little lumpy I put it trough the shredder before using it.
Yet another splendid piece of advice from one of Johns books.

xx
Hot compost

Started by Chrysalis on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post December 29, 2013, 15:43
by Yorkie
xx
Compost tea

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post December 18, 2012, 21:13
by infowarrior
xx
compost

Started by mr tibbs on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 19:40
by mr tibbs
xx
Hot Compost Bin

Started by Sparkyweb on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post September 24, 2022, 11:17
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 29 queries.