Commercial Pepper Growers

• 3 Replies

mrs bouquet

Commercial Pepper Growers
« on: June 21, 2018, 13:33 »
Yesterday I went on an outing to the largest single site pepper nursery in the UK covering 75 acres  with 9 glasshouses the size of 60 football pitches. 60 million peppers are harvested annually which is around 50% of all peppers in the UK.   They pack them and sell to Sainsbury, Morrisons, Tesco, Waitrose and Co-op, which is done in their 10,000 sq. mtr. packing house, where they are graded to the Stores requirements.

25,000 bumble bees pollinate the plants, of which there are 825,000.  each plant has 3 stems which equals 2,475 million stems, which are then strung on plastic string - I didn't think plastic was good, they then remove the string before compsting the plants.  I suggested twine would be more friendly (me and my big mouth !)
The plants are all grown hydroponicly, and the water and feed mix is channelled for cleaning and recycling.
There are 285 miles of piping which carries hot water around to heat the crop.
Everything is grown and controlled by computer - I did venture to ask if there was any hands-on detection of pests etc - and was told that the picking staff are trained to spot such things.
It was so hot inside, I don't know how they can work there.
I was disappointed about the plastic string, and the fact that they only grow, red, yellow, orange and green.
I was hoping to see some white, purple and brown ones.   Also that there were none to buy and bring home,  because I use them daily.
But, what a set-up.   When I buy mine tomorrow, I shall consider the price of £1 for 3, and realise that actually I've got a bargain.
Thank you if you have taken time to read this - just thought you might find it interesting, regard Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Pescador

Re: Commercial Pepper Growers
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 14:08 »
Where was that Mrs B?
I did a 6 month placement back in 1972(?) at Fyffes, West End Nurseries in Angmering, when I was studying Horticulture at Bath University. They had a small trial of sweet peppers then, only about 100 sq.m.
In those days peppers, courgettes, aubergines, were know as "queer gear" on they wholesale market because they were such new, minor crops. How things have changed!!
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 16:44 »
I am about 10 minutes drive down the A27 from Ffyes at Angmering.
The one we went to is a little bit further on toward Chichester and is called Tangmere Airfield Nurseries Ltd, The name speaks for itself, as it is on the old WW2 Aerodrome.   There is also a very interesting aircraft museum there.  Mrs B

grinling

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 22:10 »
twine probably wouldn't survive long enough in there.
I had no idea they came in other colours!!
Wonder how much they are paid for 3 peppers?

xx
Lincolnshire Growers

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post November 19, 2019, 19:03
by grinling
xx
Cat Pepper

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2023, 17:23
by MrsPea

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 42 queries.