What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today

• 405 Replies

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
Re: What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today
« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2014, 00:00 »
I stood inside the new greenhouse as Mike was putting it up.. handed him lots of Glazing clips, and put lots of the (I think they're called) W clips on the glass!

That now takes us to: 1 "proper" greenhouse, 1 home built greenhouse, and 1 lean to greenhouse.

Just a shame none of them can be heated early in the season :-(
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2014, 00:15 »
After work (at 9pm this evening) went to check the Big Drippa system, but ended up taking out loads of unnecessary tomato leaves and tied back all toms and cukes (which had all had a 24 hour growth spurt of their own!!)

Starting to look like land of the triffids in there!! :unsure:

Eblana

« Reply #152 on: June 28, 2014, 08:24 »
Watered, fed and tied in Tomatoes and Cucumbers in the PT at the Plot.  Planted 15 dahlias in one of the PT borders - hoping to get some nice show Dahlias from them.  Dug up the peas and half the carrots in preparation for planting the Peppers and Chilli's on Sunday.

I came home and potted on some young plants I have growing in the greenhouse at home.  I need to do a big clear on in there and take the staging down so that I can give the Toms and Cucks in there more space to grow.  Will hopefully get that done on Monday.

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2014, 12:32 »
Cut out the lower leaves on the toms.  Much better now.  Easier for watering/fertilising and will be better ventilation.

Now using "Bumper Crop" fert as recommended by one of the users here.  Looks good stuff.

Lardman

« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2014, 13:19 »
Now using "Bumper Crop" fert as recommended by one of the users here.  Looks good stuff.

Be interested to see the results and hear what you think in a couple of weeks - I prefer granules to liquid but Im torn between this and their No 4 (which I assume is the same as chempak's No 4).

Bit of clear up today - removed the sideshoots, lower leaves and anything looking sickly. I had 3 tomatoes in that dubious compost so emptied those out, very little root growth at all. I've potted them on in fresh compost hopefully they will recover.

Planted out a tray of jalapenos and some californian wonder in the top greenhouse, things are really badly organised up there , it's such a mess :(

Noticed some of the sungold are finally starting to change colour :D  The tomato season fast approaches ... and not a moment too soon, despite my early start this year it's less than a week sooner than last year, hardly seems worth the effort.

Thinking about binning the cucamelons in the bottom GH, they're not doing very well, taking up space and there are 2 plants in the top GH, added to which Im not entirely fond of them.

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2014, 20:50 »
Bumper crop instructions say...1gram per litre and then 1 litre per 10m2 (That can't be right)  10m2!!!!

I just mixed 10 grams with 10 litres and watered liberally all round toms, cukes and peppers...see what happens...

mjpalin

« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2014, 21:19 »
So today we dug the beds inside the house, then covered with membrane for this year - still not 100% sure on the layout, so this buys us some time and the toms are happy in their flower buckets.

Moved the 10 toms & 1 chilli from the flyaway into the glass house, staging up and ready for the chilli's, but need Mike to fix the autovent window frame first.

snowdrops

« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2014, 21:34 »
Finally got round to tying up the tomatoes, well most of them, side shooting them at the same time & removing some grotty looking leaves as well. Just the 8 cucumber plants to go & the 2rows of toms that are in the middle of the g/house but they might go to where I normally place them as they are still so tiny, but they might be cherry ones.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mjpalin

« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2014, 21:56 »
Mike fixed the autovent window, once this was done I could then move the last 13 chilli plants from the cold frame to their new home.

Lardman

« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2014, 22:38 »
Picked the first sungold tomato tonight - it was so good.  :tongue2:

Bit more sideshooting splashed some water around the top GH it really needs a good soaking tomorrow though, Im still trying to save the cukes and applied a foliar feed of epsom salts.  My new glass cutter arrived this morning, so I was able to finish cutting the replacement panels for the bottom GH without breaking any more  ::)

Tempted to plant a few more cuke seeds  :unsure:

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2014, 23:49 »
Had a few Sungold Toms already.  They were great tasting but only the size of a marble.  Is that right?  I know they are cherry toms but still seemed a bit titchy.

Adri

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2014, 10:23 »
Sungold do seem to vary, probably in the range of sizes I (just about  ::)) remember marbles used to - doesn't worry me, although they do seem more prone to splitting than other cherry types.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #162 on: July 02, 2014, 11:44 »
I had forgotten about the splitting  :mad: I prefer a proper tomato, but had a specific request for these again.   ::)

Mine are around the size of a 2p coin.
sungold_2014.jpg

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2014, 18:04 »
Attack of the triffids!
It's a busy place in there at the moment :D

Took a few more leaves off the toms.
Put another 2 levels  on the cucumber climbing frame.
Watered and fed. :)
Attack of the triffids 1.jpg

Lardman

« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2014, 20:09 »
Watered the tomatoes and green leafy things and side shooted.

Removed 2 mushy tomatoes from the black Russian plant, cut away some dodgy looking leaves from the brandy wine. Sowed another couple of iznik cukes as things really aren't looking good.

Actually everything is looking rather off in the bottom greenhouse at the moment, not sure what I've done to cause it might have to "hands off" for a bit and see if things recover.

Slightly better in the top greenhouse, the tomatoes are looking healthy and the fruit are swelling nicely, the peppers I planted at the weekend seem to have settled in and purple french beans are still producing all be it slowly.

xx
Polytunnel vs greenhouse.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 00:54
by John
xx
Greenhouse V Polytunnel?

Started by fallen angel on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 19:02
by BabbyAnn
xx
Polytunnel or Greenhouse

Started by ches on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2019, 08:38
by sunshineband
xx
Greenhouse or Polytunnel?

Started by Clarky86 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2017, 21:13
by grinling

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 55 queries.