Pruning Dogwood

• 4 Replies

Zippy

Pruning Dogwood
« on: August 06, 2010, 16:37 »
I have a Dogwood which is now getting too large. I don't know which variety as it was there when we moved in. Variegated leaves and non-flowering if that helps.

The instructions I have seen have been to coppice it in mid-winter, cutting all verticals to near ground level, but if I have the wring species I could do a lot of damage. This shrub has one main trunk with laterals leading off it, rather than all verticals growing from the base.

Any suggestions?

Goosegirl

Re: Pruning Dogwood
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 17:00 »
Dogwoods are as hardy as you can get, including heavy pruning. Depending on how floppy the laterals are, if you let them touch the ground, they will take root and you can dig them up and get more plants if you wish. To prevent this, achieve a main framework of thick branches that won't flop. Cut them back in spring just before they leaf. You can cut them right back to the main stem or anywhere along their length, depending on how tall/wide you want them. If you want it really low, cut back using a saw to about a foot above ground level. You will get lots of whippy growth the following year that you can cut back in the following spring. The new growth always has the brightest stem colour that is lovely in winter for colour. Take your pick!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Sue33

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 12:30 »

my understanding of dogwood is that it's great for winter colour, i have a red one, so prune in the spring before all the leaves come out, as i don't have much room i prune it hard, pretty much down to soil level;  it's a nice leafy backdrop in the border in summer and then the stems add colour during the winter months when the leave have all dropped off  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 12:48 »
zippy I think your plant has just the one trunk because it was not pruned when young to develop a coppice stool as it's base.

You can just prune it as suggested by Sue and Goosegirl, onto the trunk at the height you want, instead of onto a stool.

PS I think you might have Cornus alba, if that helps  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Zippy

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 23:52 »
Thank you sunshineband - on closer inspection it has very small platforms of white flowers so needds to be pruned back rather than coppiced.

xx
Dogwood

Started by EzLou on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 16:22
by Vegpot
xx
Prune dogwood when?

Started by JohnB47 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2014, 11:34
by JohnB47
xx
Pruning

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2021, 06:38
by Growster...
xx
pruning lavender

Started by sizer247 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 12:02
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 38 queries.