So what to do ??- The Great Tomato Experiment

• 239 Replies

starry

So what to do ??- The Great Tomato Experiment
« on: December 29, 2011, 18:21 »
I got a free packet of tomato seeds with a magazine and it advises that I can sow the seeds now if I have a heated green house to transfer them to but I don't have one, but I do have a heated south facing conservatory so is there a difference  as I found that most of my tomato plants last year didn't ripen in time for the summer it was late august September before I harvested a single tomato  :(
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 09:14 by DD. »
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: so what to do ??
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 18:26 »
Sounds as if you have ideal conditions to grow them on..so have a try now.....but play safe by saving some for later :)

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 18:35 »
Agree with MOS, set some away now the some later when it's warmed up a bit  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 18:44 »
I do have a heated greenhouse, but wouldn't dream of sowing for at least another month.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

starry

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 18:48 »
well as the magazine is a january issue perhaps I will sow them at the end of January  :D

gobs

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 19:35 »
 It's not just heat, also, very importantly, light conditions. All those big show and Gh growers do have huge lights over them early crops. 8)

And variety. A lot of tomatoes only will ripen in August, no matter what you do.

And there are all so many new varieties, for different day light length too, indeed, so do definitely try. Some. :closedeyes:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 20:30 »
It's not just heat, also, very importantly, light conditions.

Completely agree. One of the things that many gardeners fail to understand, is that if at this time of year if you provide summer time heat conditions, then you must also provide summer time light conditions. Failure to do this results in spindley plants that will never give their best

In my opinion, even with a heated greenhouse, its best to wait untill about the middle of Feb when the days are getting longer and the light is more intense.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 20:31 »
I echo the others. I won't start any toms until sometime in early Feb. Our daylight is just too short and weak to support healthy growth until my seedlings size up a bit, which would be late march/early april. Those with grow lights and full spectrum bulbs can start earlier but might find they'll deal with whitefly earlier.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 20:52 »
Depending on what light fittings you have in your conservatory, light bulbs can be bought that would give you that extra light you need... :)

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 20:55 »
Now I never start my tom plants off until late March/early April and always get lots of fruit!

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 20:58 »
You're right, Min. Starting them too early just never pays off. I've had self-seeded ones in my garden catch up to my started, babied tom plants.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 22:17 »
Depending on what light fittings you have in your conservatory, light bulbs can be bought that would give you that extra light you need... :)

As you say, it would have to be the correct lights, not just household bulbs.  Something to do with UV or other type of light  :wub:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 06:21 »
Daylight grow bulbs/lamps/tubes are manufactured to give a spectrum output near enough to daylight as possible.

They are not cheap. Unless you are a really serious grower, they are not worth it, I find patience comes at a much lower cost.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 06:36 »
I don't heat my greenhouse so sow with a mind to when plants are going to be OK to put out there.

I can understand starting aubergines or peppers in January if you did have a heated greenhouse for them to go into.  I usually get these going early March. Tomatoes grow so fast, I don't sow until late March/early April either.

Mind you, I am growing inside on windowsills.  A conservatory would probably tempt me into earlier sowing  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 06:44 »
I always start my toms & peppers indoors on window sills, it's about March time when they'll go into the greenhouse as reasonable sized plants.

Until that point I've had minimal heat on to keep the frost out, I then crank it up a bit. The costs are not too bad, the greenhouse is bubble wrapped and by the time the toms etc. go in it, the weather generally has started to warm up.

xx
The great onion seed v set experiment

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 07:05
by Brassica Blaz
xx
The Great Crimson Crush Experiment - year two...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

50 Replies
Last post September 20, 2017, 05:46
by Growster...
xx
TOMATO EXPERIMENT

Started by tiny50 on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post November 10, 2009, 12:27
by tiny50
xx
Tomato experiment

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 09:33
by J_B

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 40 queries.