jars not sealed - what can I do?

• 5 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
jars not sealed - what can I do?
« on: September 14, 2013, 10:00 »
I have three jars of bottled plums and the rubber seal under the glass lid has not sealed properly.

I did them in the oven at 125C for 45 mins as per the recipe.

What can I do to fix this please?

(The jars are brand new)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: jars not sealed - what can I do?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 11:28 »
What a shame  :(
Did you soften the seals in hot water before using them?

I'd remove lids and seals and clean them and check for nicks in the glass round the rim - this can stop them sealing :(

If all seems fine put lids and seals back in place but I'd waterbath them this time - don't know why  :wacko: - but that's what I would do   :nowink: 30 mins should do it.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 16:40 »
Definitely water bath them but first you'll have to heat up the contents so the seal will take. I empty contents into a pot, bring it to a boil, fill the jars and then waterbath with new seals. It could have been a problem with the old seals so no point wasting the effort reusing them. As mum says, check the jar edges for any chips then wipe down the edges before sealing. Sometimes something sticky on the rim stops the seal.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 20:04 »
I was really careful to clean the edges of the glass and soaked the seals in boiling water too. If I heat up the contents again they will go quite mushy I think. Maybe the seals did not soften sufficiently.

I shall pour them into freezer boxes and store them that way and use the jars for making lavender sugar as gifts.

Next time I shall not buy cheap preserving jars in the supermarket: I suspect the seals were not up to the business.

Thanks for your help, guys  :D

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 01:50 »
Sadly, it seems most of the good jar and seal producers have either gone out of business or started outsourcing to Asian countries. The only brand of seals we can get here used to be very good, now they're so cheap and undependable that I shudder to buy them. Instead, I've switched to a US made reuseable 2 piece system called Tattlers. Once you get the hang of using them, they're ideal and the rings can be waterbathed up to 18 times or pressure canned about 8 times.

Also sad is that the prices keep going higher for the cheaper, useless seals. And new rings are a joke. My latest purchased jars have thin rings that are pressed into shape and actually have wrinkles!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 08:03 »
I shall try to find some decent ones now that I have rediscovered bottling (from my child hood  ;) ). The jars with the plastic lined pop down centres worked well, but they are a bit small for plums or sliced peaches I think.

Mind you, as there are only two of us it might help with portion control  :lol:  Or maybe I can find some larger ones?

Last night's pudding of slightly stale ginger cake, bottled plums - not too sweet- and a small slurp of cream was extremely popular with Mr Sunny.

'Didn't know all that stuff you've been making is this nice!' he mumbled through a mouthful. Nice to be appreciated  :D :D

xx
Jam Jars

Started by pompeyboy61 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post July 28, 2013, 23:06
by BobE
thumbup
Jam Jars

Started by matilda duck on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

62 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 15:49
by scabs
xx
Jam jars

Started by Stepharoo78 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 23:24
by compostqueen
xx
Someone help me out with these jars

Started by Beetroot queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

21 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 19:02
by titch

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 39 queries.