Hen house help?

• 10 Replies

boosmummy

Hen house help?
« on: August 26, 2011, 22:49 »
So mr husband said he will buy me a chicken coop for my birthday in 2 weeks  :D :D :D  now i want one the same design as the two below but in your expert opinion which would be best?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHICKEN-HEN-COOP-COUP-RABBIT-HUTCH-LARGE-RUN-NEW-DMR1-/150634566650?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item23128513fa#ht_3037wt_754

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250823042952?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_5416wt_960

ideally i prefer the 2nd because of the no felt aspect but the first on has a full roof on the top which i cant seem to find without felt on and ideally i would like it covered over the top, failing that though i could get some 'eglu' type bungee covers to cover it, if that would be better.

Muchly appreciated xx

Carolf

• Experienced Member
Re: Hen house help?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 23:01 »
In hindsight I would have gotten an Eglu from the get go. The wooden ones are aesthetically pleasing but I suspect the plastic ones have the edge as there is no hassle with mites or warping ergo easier to maintain.
When I was young we used to go 'skinny dipping,' now I just 'chunky dunk.'

boosmummy

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 23:04 »
In hindsight I would have gotten an Eglu from the get go. The wooden ones are aesthetically pleasing but I suspect the plastic ones have the edge as there is no hassle with mites or warping ergo easier to maintain.

an eglu isnt really an option, they are too expensive and also its going down on the allotment, i dont want anyone to nick it and neck my chickens  ::)

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 23:10 »

an eglu isnt really an option, they are too expensive and also its going down on the allotment, i dont want anyone to nick it and neck my chickens  ::)

Ahhh I hadn't realised you were putting on an allotment ;)  in which case disregard my waffling  :tongue2: It would, by all accounts, get nicked.   ;)

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 23:40 »
Unfortunately both of the hen houses you have suggested have big flaws. You certainly don't need windows in hen houses either from the point of view of someone looking at your hens with a torch to see what you've got in there, security, a fox leering through it and finally daylight. You don't want your hens getting restless on summer mornings.
The space for the birds underneath is very limited and you will not have much room for more than two birds.
I believe that these types of houses are rather flimsy and as my mother says, who lives in wet Scotland, 'All ready to rot'.

May I suggest you have a look at Forsham Cottage Arks, see the link below. They are expensive but are well designed and they know what they are making.

I have kept hens for many years now and can thoroughly recommend FCA. Well built and solid.

Ensure anything you buy is lifted off the ground by two bricks height to keep the damp from the ground away.

http://www.forshamcottagearks.com/

Orchardlady  :)

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 08:46 »
The problem with both of the houses below, is that while the house part may be big enough for the number of hens they state, the run provided is not even big enough for one hen.

If the hens are going to be in a fixed run, then they really need at least 3sqm EACH (on top of space for feeders, waterers, and enrichments).  This is to prevent the ground from becoming sour and to give them enough space to get away from each other if fihting occurs (and it will if they are overcrowded)

I really rcommend a run in which you can walk around in it.  It will make cleaning, and even maintaining the food and water much more pleasant, especialy in winter, than if you have to go scratting around on your hands and knees.

rachelr

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 09:26 »
I also had an issue with costings, we do not have much money but wanted to start with chickens.  I agree with every one else. Its the run thats an issue. buy just a house and check out the runs on their own. its not much more expensive but they will have a bigger area.

I bought a house and got a local man to build me a fox proof run and it only cost me about £30.

I have one of the top suppliers house. (not the same one just by the same maker) It is still solid almost three years on. I made sure it was raised off the ground so no water damage to the legs(Just a small slab). I also painted the metal tray with enamel paint as this stops the tray getting rusty.

ps getting a run made separately is also a good idea as it is easier to clean out.

stephpaige

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 04:58 »
This looks like a really nice coop, and you can walk into it:

http://www.chickencoopsdirect.com/chicken-coop.htm

Surferchick

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 10:34 »
I have just brought a coop off the same people as the 2nd one and although it is not up yet (we are moving soon) the quality of the coop is good.

I was a little wary as there are so many on eBay but I am happy with the one we have received. We do however let our chickens free range in a big area so don't have the issues with the run.

Perhaps getting a different design house and then getting a locally made run would work - there are other options for houses without runs on ebay for around the same price.
 :)

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 14:19 »
I bought one of the coops mentioned and then simply placed it into a secure fox proof outside covered run which means I can walk in and out as mentioned before it makes cleaning an easy task and the girls have a really long run which is filled with easibed on the inside and on the outdoor uncovered run they have bark chippings sand and soil to scratch around in. I think use your imagination to see how you can adapt whichever run you buy to give the girls the best use of space and freedom possible.

Good luck with your project

Broody
if wishes were changes.......

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 14:28 »
We have the coop with the felt roof and it isn't great. (we've ordered a new coop today to replace it)
It's about a year old and has needed a new roof on the nest box area because it all just rotted away, the water gets in easily, and it is impossible to clean, it is just really really awkward!
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

xx
Which Hen House ?

Started by stamford on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 21:00
by milly8
xx
Hen house

Started by lightyears on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 20:35
by freda
xx
Hen House

Started by Leisurely on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 22:40
by dawninspain
xx
Hen house

Started by alexroyall85 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 30, 2017, 07:31
by Mr R Design

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 39 queries.