Building a lean-to greenhouse

• 74 Replies

Lardman

Re: Building a lean-to greenhouse
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2009, 00:03 »
It also means that the 1" brickwork left inside the frame can be used for staging to sit on which will assist greatly is getting a positive fix rather than having it freestanding.
Hope thats clear enough ! Easier to explain it when you are stood next to it !

Makes perfect sense (should I worry  :D ) - I just hadn't seen it in your pictures. Love the workshop, wish I had the time / money and space ... 

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2009, 09:10 »
Hi Stree, yes pallett wood is usually rubbish stuff anything I use it for is "allotment quality" ie compost bins, rudimentary gates, patching fences etc.

I'm v.jealous of the workshop too. Keep up the postings when you get chance, its good to see how its all progressing.

amc

Stree

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2009, 23:43 »
Well I have to say, the quality of pallet wood is variable.. In fact I defended  the use of pallets for  decent joinery work at one point and even made something from pallet timber to prove the point, a stable door about 24 years ago, and its still in use today. Its an external door as well so gets all the weather, and was never treated with preservatives, just stained and varnished..
I always recycle timber when I can, ( its no good when its gone rotten ! ) and anything else for that matter.
rear02.JPG

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2009, 12:20 »
Some of the older pallets are made of ash (have used them for making new door frames on our vintage lorries) but sadly these are few and far between now  :(. The best ones around now are the blue painted ones - but they are supposed to be returned to the manufacturer and therefor I think they charge a deposit on them. Although not everyone can be bothered to return them.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Stree

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2009, 18:02 »
Joyfull,  I think the blue pallets are leased, whereas the bare timber ones are not.
The size is important for stacking on wagons and odd sizes are often left at point of delivery.
Our local animal feed place always has odd sized pallets that no drivers want back and so they are free to whoever wants them.

Yabba

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2009, 18:17 »
Btw, next time you hit a low moment, when every effort is increased ten fold, and on top of all that you think "why the hell do I bother typing and uploading images ... it's not as if any one gives a $hit" .... normally followed by a few tears ... and maybe a punched screen and a thrown mouse ... anyway .... next time you hit that point?

I read this thread ;)

¥
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 18:19 by Yabba »

Stree

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2009, 19:06 »
Thank you Yabba,

a very prescient and thoughtful point. Appreciated.

Bombers

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2009, 20:27 »
Well I have to say, the quality of pallet wood is variable.. In fact I defended  the use of pallets for  decent joinery work at one point and even made something from pallet timber to prove the point, a stable door about 24 years ago, and its still in use today. Its an external door as well so gets all the weather, and was never treated with preservatives, just stained and varnished..
I always recycle timber when I can, ( its no good when its gone rotten ! ) and anything else for that matter.

Reminded me of a looooong looooong time ago, ::) when I used to peddle timber, and in particular to the pallet and packing case industries. We used to import mostly Canadian lumber (N0.3's) which consisted of mainly Hemlock or Douglas Fir. Occasionally, we received what appeared to be a 'Friday afternoon' pack, that consisted of the finest, clear, knot free, straight grained lumber. Luuvvvrly stuff. Far too good for Pallets!  ;) :D
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Bombers

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2009, 20:28 »
Ohh, By the way.........

I read this thread! :D

Stree

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2009, 00:04 »
Glad you do Bomber, makes it worthwhile knowing I am not just typing into the void when take pics and shrink pics, type things and edit things. Lifes busy enough without inventing an audience, so its nice to know there is an actual one there *
 Its surprising how much these little words of support, nods of encouragement, mean.
If there is a particular aspect you are interested in, let me know and I will be sure to include it. Not that I know everything, still learning and making it up as I go along.......
As they say, necessity is the mother of google searches..

And  there probably was some hemlock in that door all those years ago......

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2009, 00:24 »
Hi

Sorry Ive not read all the replies to your post as there are loads.

I just wanted to mention, that if you haven't already purchased on e-bay and you are going to bid rather than the buy it now the trick to getting what you bid for is to watch the bidding war, have your price in mind and at the very last second put it in, outbidding the higest bidder by say 1 or 2p if you can.

My other halfs sister buys loads of stuff this way, pays no more than she wants and usually wins.

I am totally useless at e-bay as I suffer from very mild dyslexia if I am under a lot of stress and I tend to not be able to read words or numbers properly - they tend to wobble on the page and move up and down so I cant actually focus.  I usually get someone else to do it for me if I want to buy something from e-bay or the internet.

OVP

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2009, 11:03 »
"have your price in mind and at the very last second put it in, outbidding the higest bidder by say 1 or 2p if you can"

I don't see how that would work?

If you are the last person to bid even if you bid a million pounds (by way of a silly example) your proxy bid will only rise to £1 (depending on the price the auction has reached) above the highest proxy bid. So you'll pay £1 more than whatever anyone else's highest bid is. If its worth £50 to you bid that ... if the next highest bidder only bids £40 you'll get it for £41 :)

eBay forces you to bid £1 higher than the currently shown highest bid.

So if the current bid is, say, £10 you have to bid at least £11. If the current highest bidder has a proxy bid of, say, £20 you will immediately show as outbid and the current bid will rise to £12.

You can rebid at £13, be outbid again, and continue on until you get to £21 and then you will be the highest bidder. If you try to do that close to the end of the auction you'll run out of time!

You can bid 1p over the quid, and then when the price gets to £19 if you then bid £20.01p you will indeed have outbid the highest bigger by 1p. But if they are playing the same game you will have to bid £21.01 to secure it ... whereas a £21 bid would have saved you a penny - so you are as likely to win by a penny as lose by one.

I definitely agree that bidding at the last moment is the best approach. That is because people don't just place proxy bids and walk away. They try £10, then £20 and so on ... and that drives the price up.

If everyone bid in the last second it would go to the person with the highest bid, as everyone would only be able to make one bid.

Not really in eBay's best interest though is it?  :D getting punters exciting by the auction, and bidding beyond their intended maximum is better for the auction business. Hence why auctions start at 1p or 99p - relying on the price being "talked up" by people thinking they might win the auction at that price, the reality is that there are enough people using eBay that those sorts of bargains don't happen (or not often) - and unscrupulous people will have a mate place a Shill bid for the "reserve" price, just-in-case :(

I bid using a "Sniping" software program. I put the auction number into that, enter my maximum bid, and then forget about it. It bids in the last few seconds of the auction, and I either win or not. But in the meantime my bid has not been sitting on eBay tempting people to bid beyond their maximum.

(Sniping software also has the benefit that you can bid on multiple auctions, but as soon as any one of them is successful all further related auction bids are not bid. I've used that to buy a number of things that occur frequently on eBay, but I wasn't in a hurry and wanted a rock bottom price - sooner or later an auction will come along where fewer people bid, and then a bargain is yours for the Sniping!)

I bought the sniping software I use on eBay  8)

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2009, 22:45 »
Ahh, that makes sense, I know she does bit literally at the last second or two, having tried only once and made a total hash of it I don't know how it works, thought she did it by increasing by 1 or 2p it must have been 1 or 2 quid and thats how she gets her stuff.

Personally I leave it to the other half or a friend to bid for me as I get too stressed in things like e-bay, Im happy searching for the product on the net, doing all the research but not the actual dead.

OVP

Stree

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2009, 00:37 »
All very interesting and informative, I am sure it must have a link and relevance somehow  to building a lean to greenhouse, nut it escapes me for the moment.
I will wait until you are done before my latest  progress report.

noshed

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2009, 12:47 »
I'm watching avidly.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
building a lean-to greenhouse to fight slugs

Started by Superhero on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 21:35
by Superhero
xx
Lots of questions on building a 'wee' lean to

Started by elrosco on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 07:14
by arugula
xx
Lean to Greenhouse

Started by digital_biscuit on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2007, 15:33
by digital_biscuit
xx
Lean to Greenhouse

Started by gruline on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 17:39
by gruline

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 38 queries.