Tomatoes

• 26 Replies

Jae Dawn

Re: Tomatoes
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 10:53 »
  Thanks for the info everyone!  Hopefully this year will be different.   ::)

I would PM you GrannieAnnie but haven't figured out how to do that as yet but will talk to computer guru hubby and ask him to show me.  I am a bit of a novice on more then just the garden as you can see  :wacko:

I will try to plant some of the types that were mentioned here in April and have a go!  And will keep you updated! 

DD that tomatoe looks sooooooo lush I could just EAT IT with a bit of salt!  YUMMMMM!  And yes that is exactly the tomatoe I am trying to grow very unsuccessfully  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 11:17 »
Give them a go then!

They grew better outside than in the greenhouse.

Seed sown indoors, mid-April, then into pots & moved to greenhouse, (you could keep them indoors at this stage if need be), planted out June time, if I remember correctly!

DO NOT sow too early or the plants will get too big to be inside. If you plant out too soon, it can check the plant ot even kill it.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 15:31 »
I'm in Chelmsford so have similar weather.  Last year I grew Marmande and they were wonderful.  One tomato weighted 3/4 lb.  They ripened beatifully but that may have been where they were planted.  I had them in a grow bag and in a part of the garden that gets full sun.  They were also directly in front of some bushes and, in fact, ended up half growing amongst the bushes.  It probably breaks all the rules about growing tomatoes but I am sure that the plants behind stopped the heat escaping and consequently "cooked" the tomatoes.  They certainly ripened before my neighbours, I gave her some of my plants, and she had them in exactly the same position in her garden.  It might be worthwhile looking at them as they had the most wonderful flavour - actually tasted like tomatoes used to taste!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 15:52 »
The "Brandywine" in my piccie was 1lb 3ozs.

Just left them to get on with it on the plot & never watered them.

Jae Dawn

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 11:26 »
  Thanks sandygreen ... I will try them as well so now I should be set for this years test!  Keeping my figers crossed!!  Wish I had a greenhouse but my little garden is just too dern small!  not to mention only half of it really gets alot of sun good thing that is the side I plant the tomatoes!   ::)

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 20:19 »
DD that is one magnificent tom ! Very impressive.

I have taken note that i should not under any circumstance even think about sowing those seeds yet ! I will resist all temptation to do so ! :D

I have the following seeds left over from last year, Roma, Olivade, Costoluto Fiorentino,and Principe Borghese. I just bought a packet of Marmande ( which the packet advises I can sow March to April for outdoor crops, I might try end of March sowing on those).

Just very tempted to try those Brandywine now. I assume tomato seeds are good for a few years, please advise if that's not the case.

Also wondering if tomato seeds will stay true if saved from own fruit.

Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 22:11 »
The seeds are usually true if saved, but bear in mind that you cannot save seeds from any F1 varieties.
So all of yours are ok I think except the olivade, oh and the Brandywine will be ok as well, if you do decide to grow it :)

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 10:27 »
just caught up with this thread thanks for your advice mumofstig

Shadrak

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 17:01 »
I have been and brought a packet of Brandywine seed's on the back of DD's picture hope mine look as great as that.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 17:04 »
Takes a lifetime of experience to grow them like that (but then DD is 103!!  :tongue2:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

GreenOwl

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 17:05 »
Can I just add:

Don't overwater them, it dilutes the flavour.  You will get a better flavour with less water.

sclarke624

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 15:20 »
Jae when do you start your seeds off.

PS everyone to their own but I found sub artic to be a very mushy and not great tasting Tom.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
Tomatoes help !

Started by Marky on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2006, 22:17
by milkman
xx
Tomatoes...

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 21:02
by HelenaK
xx
tomatoes

Started by davethespread on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 09:07
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
6c due - tomatoes

Started by Dan Byrne on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2020, 11:31
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 37 queries.