Really silly Flymo DM rotavator question.

• 27 Replies

Saulty

« on: April 20, 2008, 21:40 »
Hi,

I have a Flymo DM rotavator with the B & S 3hp engine. I topped it up with oil, on reading the manual I kinda figured that you fill until it is level with the top of the fill hole (if you over fill it then the extra oil just ends up on yer veggie patch!).
Once this was done I took it up the lottie and off it went, smoking like a train but full of beans. After a couple of hours use it started to lose power and I found the spark plug seriously fouled up. I cleaned it, checked the oil and there was not much left in there so I repeated the above.

Am I over filling this engine? It starts easily, runs well, has good compression and has loads of power.

Sounds silly but I don't wanna sieze the engine or waste oil!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 21:55 »
Which fill hole did you use there's 2
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Saulty

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 22:20 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Which fill hole did you use there's 2

There is?

I used the one that has the plastic oil cap on the front of the engine on the pulley end (I'm sure it says oil fill).

Where is the other one?

shaun

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 22:27 »
piston rings are goosed i thinks but mr wiz will put you right  :wink:  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 22:31 »
On mine there was one at the back immediately behind the front one, it should be filled up until the oil nearly reaches the lip, you fill from the front (it's a little lower than rear) make sure your on level ground when you fill, not rotavating on a slope are you?

you can see the rear one quite clearly on this pic

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 22:32 »
Quote from: "shaun"
piston rings are goosed i thinks but mr wiz will put you right  :wink:  :wink:

Yep he's "the man"   :D

Gwiz

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 05:40 »
Hi saulty
Yep, I reckon that the piston rings are shot. if one of them has snapped it always scores up the clyinder, so just putting in new rings isn't going to solve the problem. it could be just that the oil ring is damaged, but I don't think I have ever seen this happen in over 22 years of fixing briggs engines. The engine should take about 1pint of oil ( grade SAE30 ) Too much oil will damage the rings, but it doesn't sound to me like this is something you have done. when it has the right amount of oil, the level does come right up close to the top of the filler, as you describe.
There is one possability that might be worth a try before getting too gloomy over a costly repair. behind the fuel tank you will see an alluminium pipe that goes from the engine casing, to the carb. at the end which goes into the engine, you should see that, where it actual goes in there is a removable panel. this is called the breather, and alows excess pressure from the crankcase to escape. if the panel becomes blocked, it can cause the engine to smoke a lot. it's worth taking this out (two 8mm, or 4BA bolts) and washing it  in clean white spirit or something, and allowing it to dry out before refitting. if that doesn't do the job, then it might very well be time to consider a new engine or a new machine. Sorry to be the bringer of doom and gloom.
these engines should'nt really smoke at all if they are in "good nick"

Saulty

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 06:53 »
Thanks guys.

Rich, my engine only has the filler on the front, the one on the back like on yours is blank on mine.

Gwiz, is doing the rings on one of these an easy job? And is it expensive? I would probably remove the head to see if it has a scored bore before buying any bits.

I've also heard that some Honda engines fit these rotavators. Can anyone give model numbers etc? Also how do they fit? Are the holes the same and the pulley ets? And how does the clutch etc fit?

Cheers.

Matt.

Gwiz

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 12:40 »
Fitting the rings isn't too difficult. i find it harder, most of the time, to remove the pulleys (rusted on - often ) have a look, as you say, down the cylinder bore first, any scoring, then forget it. you will need to get a head gasket, crankcase gasket and the rings. years ago, I used to be able to buy "cords piston rings". i understand that they are still made, but only available from the manufacturer. i think they are better than the original ones.
if you go down this route, don't forget to de-glaze the bore before putting the piston and rings back in. :wink:
costwise, if you are doing it yourself, should be well under the £50 mark. before going down the honda route, just see if this one is dead!

Saulty

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 18:03 »
In all honesty, even if the bore is scored I will prob just put the head back on and run it until it dies. (I remeber putting piston seal in a car engine, it worked for a while. Don't know if you can still get it though!)

I remeber Cords piston rings, I fitted them in my 1986 Cavalier 2.0 CDi. They were good for getting rid of piston slap in worn bores without the cost of a re-bore.

Thanks for the advice.

Saulty

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 19:22 »
I used to be able to find a B & S website that told you what the engine numbers meant but can't anymore.

Can anyone here point me to this (I'm sure it was from this forum I found it) as I can get hold of a similar engine with a different code number on it.

Looks the same etc but wanted to check before I buy it in case pulleys are different or something!

Saulty

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 21:37 »
Thanks Dori, that second link is the one. Great help  :D .

Only thing is, my engine is an 80202 where as the other engine is an 80282. Looking at the numbers mine has a plain bearing/du non flange mount but the other one has a plain bearing auxillary drive (PTO) perpendicular to crankshaft.

Can anyone explain that in English to me ie will it fit/can I make it fit? :wink:

Gwiz

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 05:05 »
sorry mate, that's dutch to me.
I THINK the non flange mount bit means that it has no threaded holes on the pto side of the crankcase, to mount a gearbox. But don't take my word for it.
The other bit...........( :?: ) :?

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 06:54 »
"Perpendicular"....as in right angle drive :?: ..I have never seen one of those...can you post a photo.??...it may not help answer your question.:? ..but it may satisfy my curiosity :shock: :wink:  I wonder what it was used on.:?:

Have seen reduction gearbox types and camshaft drive (auxillary Parallel??) for an older type of cement mixer but not a Perpendicular version.

Likewise I believe the non flange mount could be the ref to not having the 4 mounting bolt holes that some engines have in the crankcase sideplate...evidently not required for DM from the photo already posted.

Is the "new" engine genuinely a right angle drive. :?: ..or offering a glimmer of hope.:idea: ..something else with a transplanted starter cowling :?:

"Dori"

xx
Flymo DM rotavator

Started by stever14 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 05:38
by Gwiz
xx
oil top up on a flymo dm/briggs rotavator

Started by daveinmanc on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post November 01, 2007, 20:06
by andyk
xx
Flymo Rotavator accessiories

Started by Lotti Digger on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 08:28
by taterfork
xx
Flymo DM rotavator advice needed.

Started by Saulty on Equipment Shed

50 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 19:03
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.