diatom slurry...

• 4 Replies

debs2910

diatom slurry...
« on: April 12, 2012, 07:29 »
Hi i am new on here but have been reading stuff for a few weeks....i have just finished building my coop (it is not great but i made it!) and wanted to know the best way to treat the inside before i put my rapidly growing 4wk old chicks in....and get them out of my greenhouse so i can put my plants in!!!

I read hillfoots idea, but i have no idea where to get the ingredients locally (sheffield/barnsley border) - i have found the vondine etc on ebay but as ever the postage is a lot.

Before the slurry, should i treat the inside with the clear expensive oil based wood preserver i treated my stables with in the autumn...i seem to rememeber it has an insecticidal element as it was anti-woodworm

And can i then paint the outisde in a pretty ciolour with the water based stains!!!

And as my carpentry is not fab and there are a couple of gaps i would like to fill to preventy draughts can anyone recommend what with?

Sorry for some many questions...thanks in advance. Debs

helens-hens

Re: diatom slurry...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 13:46 »
You may possible be able to get the vanodine and diatom at a farm supplies shop if there is one near to you. The postage is a lot but if you only have a few hens you will probably find they will last you a long time.

Was the wood you used to make the hen already treated for external use? If so then I shouldn't think it would need to be treated again. If you do use anything to treat the wood you want to be sure it isn't poisonous (the hens will probably peck at it from time to time). Sometimes manufacturers will state that the product is bat friendly which would be safe. Careful again with any paint you use for the same reason as they may well peck at it.

The hens do need ventilation in the hen house (the vents should be above their heads when roosting) but drafts can be dangerous so you need to ensure that any gaps in the sides are filled up. It has to be said DIY is not mys strongest point so others may be able to advise you better on this.

Hope this helps!
Helen

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:31 »
If you're going to use DE slurry then best not to paint the surfaces as the slurry won't stick so well. Internally you don't need preservative as the DE itself will deter wood attacking insects. Have a look on eBay for DE. It means buying a largish sack, but there is no shelf life and it is useful to have around. The small bags are very expensive for the quantity.
For gap filling at low level perhaps expanding foam would be useful? Wet the area before using and build up with a little squirt every few minutes, wetting in between. It will keep out draughts and mice; for some reason they (and hens) don't eat it as they do with polstyrene foam. HTH

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:07 »
As mentioned before expanding foam is good, for smaller cracks you could use a mastic like the ones you use around a bath, these are mold resident..
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 11:24 »
if the mastic becomes loose at an edge then chickens will pick at it so if you decide to use that then please be careful and keep a close eye on it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
diatom slurry

Started by nicky d on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 13:19
by hillfooter
xx
Hillfooters Diatom Slurry

Started by Anndee on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 31, 2012, 18:22
by arugula
xx
Poultry shield or virkon s? Diatom slurry

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 13, 2013, 17:35
by mohs.ayaz
xx
SLURRY ??

Started by della25 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 08:59
by Sassy

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 39 queries.