sick chicken urgent

• 11 Replies

asd1

• Experienced Member
sick chicken urgent
« on: October 08, 2010, 20:24 »
Hello all im new to this site and need help urgently! i have 6 hens 4 are ex free range girls (my big girls) and have had two previous owners before me and the other two are lavender araucana bantams. This morning one of my big girls didnt want to come out of her coop and i noticed she wasnt eating as much as normal she seemed sort of sleepy thats the best i can describe it.
she has also stopped laying but this could be due to the weather, Atm i am treating them all for mites with "total mite kill powder" i didnt know if mite could be the cause of this illness?
Background info on them; they all eat organic layers pellets, have grit and poultry spice, fresh water corn in the evenings, kitchen scraps and are let out of there run onto the grass in the evenings. the four big girls had worms in the summer before i got the bantams and altho i treated them for this they never put back on all the weight they lost from this.
I know hens go down hill quickly so im very worried please help!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: sick chicken urgent
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 20:46 »
There's a few questions that you should answer to help us.

*  I presume you have a wooden built house.  Is it red mite you are treating them for ? 

*  If it is red mite have you treated the house in any way ?

*  Is the sick chicken's comb ans wattles a good red colour or rather pale ?

*  What did you use to treat the hens for worms ?

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 08:47 »
yes its a wooden house & red mite yes, i have treated the house but think il need to pressure wash it ,dry it then treat it again.
wormed them with Harkers liquid wormer (normally used for pigeons) on the advice from a near by farmer, it didnt work so i then used verm-x and thats done the job, my four big girls normally lay an egg a day but this one hasnt laid for three days , shes not egg bound iv checked that, just been and checked on her comb and wattles are just as red as the other hens so no change there, she looks perfectly fine but shes acting weird like when i let her out she didnt seem as interested in scratching around under the trees as the other hens did and a couple of times she was about to eat a bug but then it was like something spooked her and so she stoped and paid more attention to looking around her then she did to any food, do you think she could be stressed out by the two bantams arrival? it was four weeks ago and no problems before this?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 09:12 »
I have had a bat just like this, I had her checked out and no one could find anything wrong and sadly a week or two later she died. Ex bats are very fragile creatures compared to your normal hen and I think sadly they dont live long lives after rescue, with the added trauma of being re-housed twice as well she may very well be calling it a day.
Other thing to look at is her poo poo, is it milky/watery? Does her breath smell? Is she sneezing or making  a kind of grinding noise?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 15:00 »
I'm afrain that the only sure way to kill worms is to use flubenvet.  Verm-x won't do the job.  It my reduce them a bit by flushing some of the adults out but they will still be infested :(

The red wattles and comb sugest that she is not anaemic from the red mites but you do need go treat it effectively or it will return very quickly.  Our member Hillfooter is probably a good person to advise you.

I can't explain her odd behaviour, I don't think it's the bantams fault though.

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 15:54 »
RE Aidey post and the milky poo thing, what is that a sign of please??

Thanks broody
if wishes were changes.......

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 17:22 »
It's often a sign of worms.

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 16:04 »
Thanks aunty, my girls were wormed and then one day they all had milky poo, would it be necessary for me to re worm now then ???

Many thanks

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 16:16 »
When were they wormed and what did you use feelingbroody  ?

When you say "ALL had milky poo" how many hens is that ?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 21:05 »
and when you wormed them what did you use and how many days did you worm them for?
Staffies are softer than you think.

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 13:46 »
hello all thanx for all the advice, i now have flubenvet on order, and spent 2 and a half hours scrubbing and mite treating the house. I nicked hubbys tool kit took the house appart moved it from one end of the garden to the other, amazing how many places you can miss on normal clean out. Anyway it is now spotless! sick chicken seems to be back to normal? weird.  fyi all the girls do normal poo im glad to report!
This whole mite thing has made me really think about the quality of our hen house tho so was thinking is a plastic one a good option? or has anyone ever built their own out of birck?

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 14:42 »
Auntie and Joy

I used flubenvet as per the correct dosage for seven days, I have three hybrids and all healthy.

I also saw milky poo once when they had been eating rhubarb leaves for the day  :) :) could it be an overdose on green stuffs do you think. I have wormed them at 18 weeks and recently they are  about 8 months now.  thank you
Broody

xx
Urgent advice needed for sick chicken please - updated, sad news

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 09:14
by helens-hens
xx
Urgent: sick hen, please help

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 19:49
by wildy78
xx
Help with chicken please - urgent

Started by wyandotty on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 19:25
by bubs
xx
HELP! URGENT! VERY ILL CHICKEN! - WORMS?

Started by jesschocolate28 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 14:17
by HarperHen

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 39 queries.