Flower Tubs - what seeds?

• 5 Replies

GreenDavie

Flower Tubs - what seeds?
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:22 »
Hi all

I've been given a fair few large pots full of compost which I've positioned round my allotment, because I have so many I cannot really afford to nor dont really want to go and buy plants for them from the garden centre. I wondered what seeds I can buy and just chuck in and allow to grow a mixture. I like the idea of the randomness of it but what variety of seeds/plants would be suitable and long flowering if poss

Cheers

Davie
Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim'rous beastie,
O, what a panic's in thy breastie!

Trikidiki

Re: Flower Tubs - what seeds?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:54 »
Anything with an open type flower bellis daisies, marigolds calendula, poached egg plant etc.

These will all attract hoverfles which are one of your greatest insect allies. They and their young stages will eat hundreds of times their weight of aphids etc throughout the season.

Marigolds around your carrots will help disguise the smell of carrots and hopefully reduce carrot fly attack. They will also help in keeping whitefly off your brassicas I grow them inside the greenhouse to keep whitefly at bay.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 16:23 »
Also things you can bring into the house, either as cut flowers or in the pot ; try cosmos, cornflowers, dahlias (you can get tubers very cheap in some DIY shops) and for next year get some cheap bulk buy daffodils, or why not take some cuttings from pinks, lavender, woody herbs etc from a friend's garden and they will root and grow on in no time.

Charlie

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 16:27 »
Herb cuttings are a good idea. Also I use any supermarket herbs bought over winter...parsley, mint, thyme. They are seedlings and I split them and pot them to get them going, plant them out April/May. Cosmos are great and they come in loads of colours, you get loads of seeds to a pack and they are brilliant for attracting insects. Flower till frosts.

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 15:19 »
I'm growing nasturtiums because you can eat them as well   :tongue2: and I'll be growing nicotiana from seed this year, along with marigolds, for the wildlife.

What about mixed wild seed packs - I've seen them at the garden centre and they sound like you can just chuck them in and head off  :D
Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls:  all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves.  ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

Spana

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 22:37 »
What ever seeds you decide to sow mix in a pinch of gypsophila.  The white of the flowers shows off the other colours and you get a lovely billowing affect :)

xx
flower tubs

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 16:38
by Yorkie
xx
ok to sow flower seeds now?

Started by poohpouri on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 14:27
by robbodaveuk
xx
Flower seeds to sow now for next year

Started by Scotch Thistle on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 20:32
by angelavdavis
xx
sowing flower seeds

Started by AmandaLouise on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 00:02
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 37 queries.