couch and grass in raspberries

• 11 Replies

Lottiegob

• Experienced Member
couch and grass in raspberries
« on: March 09, 2012, 21:09 »
Before the autumn fruiting raspberries start to shoot, the patch badly needs removal of couch and some grass.  However I am very concerned not to damage the shallow roots of the raspberries during weeding so would it be a good idea to use systemic weed killer spray?
I'm queen of my own compost heap and I'm getting used to the smell.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: couch and grass in raspberries
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 21:17 »
I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the roots, if they're like mine the Autumn Raspberries are themselves like weeds! However it is a pain to get the weeds out.

Two problems here - the weeds need treating whilst in active growth and they've not really got there yet and have a close look at your raspberries, I'm getting a few shoots showing on mine.

You may have to do it the hard way!

It's a sound idea - that's the way I deal with the couch grass in the asparagus bed.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 21:36 »
If there are no raspberry shoots then it will be safe to apply glyphosate. Be careful as they may be just at ground level and up enough to get some spray. If you delay now I suspect you will be too late as a mild weekend is forecast.

As long as there are a few couch/grass shoots showing green it should be effective as these will be at the tips of rhizomes that go a long way.

Lottiegob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 21:44 »
Thanks DD and Salmo, we will give it a go tomorrow.

Spana

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 22:24 »
I've got nettles in mine, makes picking very painful.  I sprayed them about 2 weeks ago when the nettles were showing strong.

Looked at the nettles yesterday they are just starting to go over but still no sign of any raspberry growth. Only time will tell if i've done in the rasps as well.

Be quick and you might get away with it, but leave it if in any doubt and try another method for this season, make a note to do it next year. :)

sarajane

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 00:14 »
We had the same problem with raspberries, nettles, couch etc.  We surrounded the plants with thick cardboard, covered with bark chippings (luckily we get these for free on our site and hey presto no weeds.  This has been down for about 5 years and weeds are only just this year starting so will , as soon as I can get my hands on any, re-cover with cardboard

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 05:31 »
I do it the hard way - wait until after a good rain when the soil is very soft, then carefully start pulling out the roots. They're much easier to pull when soil is damp.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 08:32 »
The other alternative is to dig up the lot, thoroughly weed, manure (or otherwise improve the soil) and replant the raspberries, thinning out the poor quality stems. Doing it this way whilst hard work should pay dividends in the long run..............................better crops and easier to weed.

Depends on how much time you have, availability of manure etc
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 09:07 »
Over the years I have dug up, weeded on a two year cycle and I feel like I am on a losing battle, the couch just grows to quick so this year I may revert to spray, My thought is this...

As DD says wait for it to get into full growth, I have made a spray gun using my pressure gun, but on the nossle I have attached a cut off pop bottle so this goes onto the grass, quick spray and move on , this way I have reduced the chance of spraying the plants I don't want spraying and be very precise in the area I do.

Does that make sense?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 09:36 »
I have to admit to being a bit of a slob here  :blush: 

My autumn bliss rasps are full of couch grass, so I sprayed a few weeks ago and the grass has died off.  Glyphosate takes a lot longer to work in the cold, but it does get there in the end if the weeds are still green.  Now the rasps are shooting and I've emptied a compost bin onto them, that will be it and any surviving grass can get on with it.  They grow so rampantly I find the rasps overpower the weeds and produce tons of fruit anyway  :)  Might not work as well with summer rasps, but my autumn bliss 'hedge' is big and tough enough to cope  :D

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 09:53 »
My raspberries were full of all the above especially nettles. Last month I dug them all up and meticulously went through the soil and removed as much root as I could find. So at the moment they look good - even better when they start to grow.

I know I haven't solved the problem but rather improved it for a while.

In the summer when the plants are well under way I will carefully spray around them to weaken any weeds.

This is an ongoing process - just stay on top of it.  :)

Regards, WG

Lottiegob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 08:05 »
Thanks everyone - seems to be a common problem.   We did spray yesterday (very carefully) so hopefully "nipped in the bud".     Will mulch when I know the couch is on it's way out. 8)

xx
Couch grass in raspberries...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 18:23
by victoria park
xx
Clearing couch grass in raspberries...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post October 02, 2013, 20:40
by gobs
xx
Couch Grass

Started by sweet nasturtium on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 18:28
by brinylon
xx
couch grass

Started by allotmentann on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 15:51
by Aidy

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 36 queries.