beer trap

• 18 Replies

wildeone

beer trap
« on: July 14, 2007, 19:12 »
How do i go about knocking one of these up??? Fast!!! My green beans wigwam are getting stripped from about 2 foot up and my daughters want to use it as a den!!!!  Any advice welcome as i'm off to the shops soon to buy beer (what type) and a large tub of hagen daz as i've just had a party for 19  4 year olds and i think i deserve it!!!

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
beer trap
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 21:28 »
my slugs seem quite happy with tescos value lager.

i bought another 4 pack (splashed out at 88p for 4 cans!!) for them today and shall be treating them tomorrow!  

aren't they lucky slugs??!!

wildeone

beer trap
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 21:33 »
but do you have a brought beer trap ? or can i make one up!

pepper

• Experienced Member
beer trap
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 07:58 »
I cut the top bit off a plastic bottle and put it in backwards so that the neck section is enclosed then put in some beer. It worked ok and trapped quite a number. Horrible to empty though!!  
Pepper
monica

wildeone

beer trap
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 10:04 »
thanks everyone for your replies!!! I'm afraid to say that the ice cream  and wine called me before your replies!!!! But i did decide to just have a go!  I used a foil serving try left over from the afore mentioned party and filled it with beer!

I've just gone out to take a look and it's trapped about 30-40 little slugs! Is this a good cull? Now can i put them in the compost heap? I'm thrilled!! I'm going to get some very cheap beer and keep at it!

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
beer trap
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 10:29 »
even cheaper than beer is some cabbage leaves in soapy water. Works just as well. I use old jamjars buried to 1/2 inch from the rim. The slugs in my garden are teetotal but like cabbagy water.

wildeone

beer trap
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 10:43 »
GREAT! willing to try anything as in 2 days they've managed to cause loads of damage higher and higher up the plants! It all this damp weather

Annie

beer trap
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 17:50 »
Try the Growing sucess slug pellets,I have had only one courgette plant and a small nibble off 1 carrot so far despite the rain.I was a bit sceptical in the begining but am now a convert.Unlike ordinary pellets these work well if it rains. and should be non harmful to wild life,though I admit seeing slug corpses and knowing they are dead is highly satisfying! :lol:

wildeone

beer trap
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 18:45 »
:D The slugs are already heading for my make shift trap again this evening just had a look and about 6 are supping away!!! Does the beer itself kill the slugs or is it the drowning that does it? Can some of them just have a drink and come to no harm??
 :twisted: I will get as many as possible without chemicals :twisted:
 :shock: might be enjoying this a little too much!!!

seadart

beer trap
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 19:13 »
You could try grapefruit skins too :wink:
Life? Don't talk to me about life!!
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s34/smilies-151.png[/img]

weeeed

beer trap
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 20:59 »
My friend and I have the most organic if not the most politically correct solution to kamikaze slugs! Grandchildren fron the age of two upwards will do anything for their parents if the reward is going to Grannie's to stamp on snails and salt slugs! :wink:  :twisted: Does this come under any form of cruelty ie child  or animal ? Bearing in mind most children have toys ours have wellies and a salt dish and spoon! :twisted:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

Boothy

• Experienced Member
beer trap
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 21:05 »
Quote from: "weeeed"
My friend and I have the most organic if not the most politically correct solution to kamikaze slugs! Grandchildren fron the age of two upwards will do anything for their parents if the reward is going to Grannie's to stamp on snails and salt slugs! :wink:  :twisted: Does this come under any form of cruelty ie child  or animal ? Bearing in mind most children have toys ours have wellies and a salt dish and spoon! :twisted:

Encouarage the children to kill kill kill, lol.

I've tried everything and even though I must have drowned/stamped/pelleted and salted literally thousands of the * this year they keep on coming.  Just how quickly do they breed?
Total beginner - please bear with me if I ask daft questions!!

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
beer trap
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 21:19 »
I used to think that Nemaslug was a waste of money because I still had slugs. I haven't used it for 2 years now and now I REALLY know what having slugs means. As its still so wet, I'm going to get some more this week on my credit card. Pity its so expensive.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
beer trap
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 21:40 »
my beer goes in old can jars, yogurt pots, tin cans etc

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
beer trap
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 21:47 »
I've been told that they go for sour milk as much as they go for beer, never tried it though.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
Where to dispose of full beer trap

Started by banf77 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2017, 12:07
by banf77
clip
Mouse trap

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 11:51
by chrisnchris
xx
plum maggot trap

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 16, 2014, 18:19
by evie2
xx
Beer

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 06, 2019, 18:55
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 39 queries.