Outdoor tomatoes

• 14 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Outdoor tomatoes
« on: April 17, 2014, 08:34 »
 have previously only grown toms in the greenhouse.  I have Black Russian, which I now understand may prefer the outdoors.  I think I might try a couple of others as well.   Is there anything I need to know regarding which varieties grow best outside.

In the greenhouse I'm growing Sungold, Rosada and Suncherry Premium.  Shall I try them outside or are there ones best suited to outside?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Outdoor tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:45 »
Sungold does grow very well outside here! It likes to spread a bit, and flowers on all of the extra stems too  :D

I don't plant mine out until the night time temp is around 10C though, or they do get a bit blue and stop growing.

Ones for outside on my plot this year are Black Sea Man, Moneymaker, Harbinger and Sungella
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:49 »
Unless a seed packet instructions specifically mentions greenhouse growing only, I think most do fine outdoors.  A nice sheltered sunny spot, especially against a fence or wall to absorb the sun's heat during the day (and slowly gives heat off at night) is even better but not crucial. The real risk is what sort of summer we get - if we should get a wet late spring/summer, blight can be a problem.  Unlike potatoes where you might be able to salvage something by cutting off the haulms, tomato plants tend to go downhill very quickly.  I always grow some in a greenhouse as a just in case the outdoors don't do so well
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:29 by BabbyAnn »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:50 »
Recalling previous discussions on this forum I think most varieties have been grown outdoors and indoors, and are often reported as being better for being grown outdoors - I don't think there is a real dividing line between indoor and outdoor types.

What a GH or PT does do of course is provide a more sheltered environment, extends the 'usable' growing season, and gives a measure of protection against blight, which can make the crucial difference between getting a crop and losing some or all of it (last year was very kind blight-wise, the one before was disastrous for many.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:05 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:19 »
It is a little bit easier to grow determinates (bush types) outside in my experience. They don't need so much support or care as the indeterminate ones. But nothing stops you from growing indeterminates outside. I do it all the time.

The one thing I noticed is that outdoor tomatoes tend to taste a little bit better. Maybe it is the soil?

And they tend to get more sun outside. The whole day basically. This is not true for my greenhouse and protected terras.

Actually I got more tomatoes the last two years from my outside plants than my "inside" plants.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 09:36 »

The one thing I noticed is that outdoor tomatoes tend to taste a little bit better. Maybe it is the soil?

It is the sun!  Sun ripened toms  taste a whole world different  :D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:28 by BabbyAnn »

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 10:45 »
I think Sungold are better outside, much better yield. I used to have a small greenhouse and grew a few inside then the rest outside. Beef tomatoes did better outside. Can't remeber what varieties I grew, but the best outdoor beef was one of the Italian collection types.

Headgardener22

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 11:22 »
The only reason I don't grow tomatoes at the allotment is blight  :( . Last year would have been OK but the year before was a waste.

If you're growing them anywhere near potatoes there may be nothing you can do to prevent it.

Good for outdoor are Black Russian, Cherokee Purple, almost any of the cherry determinate varieties (maskotka, garden pearl, ...) but I wouldn't recommend the late fruiting beefsteak (summer cider, Marvel Stripes, ...) as (in my garden at least) they tend not to ripen until late October. But I don't know where you are from your profile so if you're in the South West you may be OK.

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 11:24 »
Just to add my two pennorth, since living here I have been unable to grow tomatoes of any variety outdoors - the summer is too short and not warm enough for long enough.  I used to live in Bristol and we grew all types of tomatoes outside there.  So I guess location has a lot to do with it.

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 11:38 »
Interesting that outdoor toms have a far better taste because I have stopped growing them in my GH for that reason. Must try a plant and see.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 11:49 »
I'm wondering whether those who grow indoors in soil rather than compost find that the difference in flavour compared with outdoor ones is reduced (not an option for me as my GH floor is solid concrete!)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 12:15 »
I'm wondering whether those who grow indoors in soil rather than compost find that the difference in flavour compared with outdoor ones is reduced (not an option for me as my GH floor is solid concrete!)

I can find out this season, all being well. I have resuscitated my greenhouse bed at home after many years and now have plants nesting happily in their new soil  :D :D

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 12:50 »
The old bloke next door to me used to swear that the growing medium significantly impacted on taste, along with what type of feed you used during the season. I suppose there could be good grounds for it  :unsure: but given all the other potential problems growing them outside I think it's a sacrifice Im prepared to take.

I've grown sungold outside in the ground, inside in compost and inside in soil and I couldn't taste any difference at all, although outside cropped significantly less.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 14:52 »
Reading all this I suppose the answer is to try it and see. If you have a really sunny, sheltered garden like we had in Chester, they might do better than in a more open position with different soil don south. And of course the weather will make a difference.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 17:21 »
The tastiest tomatoes I've grown in the UK had a sheep manure mulch and grew at the foot of a South facing wall.

Compost or sun - which made them better?  :unsure:  :nowink:

xx
Outdoor tomatoes

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 21:38
by Parsnip
xx
outdoor tomatoes

Started by rookie1 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 13:06
by boogaloo
xx
Outdoor tomatoes - still

Started by James on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 07, 2006, 18:14
by ytyynycefn
xx
Outdoor Tomatoes.....

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 15:11
by polly nator

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 40 queries.