Hoes

• 12 Replies

joyandted

• Our other gardener 'TomTom'
Hoes
« on: March 13, 2012, 20:41 »
Does anyone know where we can buy a Winged Weeder Hoe? WE bought one any years ago at BBC Gardeners World and it got so much work the rivet eventually wore through the blade!There were two sizes and we bought the smallest - about 3" across - ideal for 'fiddly Bits'.

mattwragg94

Re: Hoes
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 20:57 »
just had a quick look online, unfortunately i cant find any uk sites that sell them. however lots of US sites have them - for example US amazon stock them!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 20:59 »
A photo might help as it could be called a different name now. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 21:53 »
I think this might be the one you want . If it is, it's also called a scuffle hoe. This source is the US but if you email them, they might have a UK source:

http://www.centurionbrands.com/garden-tools/the-original-winged-weeder-scuffle-hoe.html

Goldfinger

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 22:03 »
I think this might be the one you want . If it is, it's also called a scuffle hoe. This source is the US but if you email them, they might have a UK source:

http://www.centurionbrands.com/garden-tools/the-original-winged-weeder-scuffle-hoe.html

Anyone handy in the workshop, maybe able to knock one up.

Wonder what my dad's doing this weekend?  :lol:

Gandan57

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 22:09 »
Burgon and Ball make them. Here is a link to find your local stockist.

http://www.burgonandball.com/stockists.php
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

joyandted

• Our other gardener 'TomTom'
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 16:39 »
What a fantastic response - and so quick.  This is the first time I have ever been on a forum and I'm so.o.o. impressed.  Thank you everyone.  We will try the Lincolnshire Burgon and Ball stockists.  Even if they don't have one in one of them might order it for us. Just for those who don't know what it looks like it is a triangular hoe with one side of the hoe cut away, where the handle fixes, hence the name 'Winged'.   Thanks once again - happy gardening.

Gandan57

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 00:39 »
A picture......

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:19 »

My thoughts exactly Goldfinger.  Not enough 'blokes in sheds' these days, I think I've got a bit of flat stainless and some round bar somewhere.  .  . :happy: . Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 10:01 »
Does anyone know where we can buy a Winged Weeder Hoe? WE bought one any years ago at BBC Gardeners World and it got so much work the rivet eventually wore through the blade!There were two sizes and we bought the smallest - about 3" across - ideal for 'fiddly Bits'.

If the blade isn't too bad you can re-rivet it using washers to cover the worn out bits.  Should be quite an easy job but if you don't have a heavy duty riveter you could use nuts and bolts.  ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 13:57 »

Going back to the sixties when I learnt about solid rivviting,  a reaction head is 100% the width, a dome head is 60 % of the width and a flush rivet is 50%.   Blue ally rivets contain 10% hiduminium and pure ally rivets are black.     If I remember correctly. .  ::) .  .  .  .The stuff that gets lodged in the old grey cells.      Cheers,    Tony.

grendel

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 21:34 »
somewhere I have a pot full of soft steel rivets that I used to use to make wooden shields in my re-enactment days, somewhere - not too sure exactly where, but they are not really easy to get hold of nowadays. - a steel bolt can be peened over to perform as a rivet though.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Goldfinger

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 20:33 »

Going back to the sixties when I learnt about solid rivviting,  a reaction head is 100% the width, a dome head is 60 % of the width and a flush rivet is 50%.   Blue ally rivets contain 10% hiduminium and pure ally rivets are black.     If I remember correctly. .  ::) .  .  .  .The stuff that gets lodged in the old grey cells.      Cheers,    Tony.

Not a clue what you're on about here Tony.  :wacko:

xx
Hoes

Started by pipfit on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2009, 20:31
by kelvin
xx
Hoes

Started by TTG on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 07:48
by Kristen
xx
hoes

Started by vegikev on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 21:20
by Browser
xx
Hoes

Started by Uzzy on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 05:56
by Growster...

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 39 queries.