Hunting Dogs Killed My Chickens Today - What Can I do

• 49 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
« on: November 04, 2007, 20:35 »
I took my 1 and 2 year old out to see the chickens this afternoon (they are free range around the house and grounds) but when I opened the door 4 hunting dogs were ripping 2 of my chickens apart.  My son had already ran past them + I was terrified they would turn on him, so I chased them off throwing wellies at them, while I quickly put the corpses in the bin and hurried my 2 year old inside.  I then chased the dogs away while I collected the head, legs, and various other body parts up so he couldnt see them.  The dogs kept coming back and I had to keep chasing them.  One of my chickens there is no race of her - none of her feathers are about (the other 2 are carnage, feathers and bits everywhere).  I thought all 3 welsummers had been killed, but then after I went into the house sobbing, Frankie ran past the back window.  I ran and caught him and got him to the coup (a dog was still there eating flesh) but he's safe, so they only got 2 and maybe my leghorn who theres no trace.  This has devastated me and upset my boy.  I rang the police and then the surrounding farmers to see if they knew about the hunt. One neighbour tracked down the hunters and they came up to the house and offered to replace or pay for the chickens.  I appreciate their admitting it was them but I am horrified at the experience, and how can I feel safe with the kids outside when savage dogs could come up at any time.  I told them to come back another night (when my husband will be here)as I couldnt really argue when the kids were here and I was rather upset.   My chickens were my pets, not just replacable items.  Where do I stand legally.  The Police came out but said they couldnt do anything.  the house is raised up and has a long sweeping drive down to the road, the hunters were nowhere to be found when the dogs were here.  I cant eat as I just keep seeing the body parts.  I am an animal lover, devout vegetarian of 18 years and a soppy person.  I feel crushed.
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 20:44 »
you have recourse for illegal trespass and damage inflicted on your property and livestock ,you were inlaw entitled to shoot the dogs ,, accept nothing from the hunt for now ,.inform a solicitor in the morning  and act quickly with a camera and take lots of pictures  of how they got in and the dead birds  and any other damage caused , this stupidity on the behalf of hound master  is what gives the sport a bad name  :x
still alive /............

WG.

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 20:44 »
Bad luck pookey - a nasty experience.  I actually thought (fox?) hunting with dogs was now illegal???

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 20:46 »
it is not a fox hunt mate ,its drag hunting  where they now follow scent  :(

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 20:51 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
it is not a fox hunt mate ,its drag hunting  where they now follow scent  :(

Yeah, right. :evil:
Cheese makes everything better.

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 20:52 »
How awful - really feel for you and your little ones  :cry:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 20:55 »
I'm not sure if fox hunting is illegal in Fermanagh  :?

I really feel sorry for you, what a horror it must have been  :cry:

Make sure the hunt know that if the dogs come on to your land again they will be shot.   I don't mean you will shoot them, just let them believe you will  :evil:

As Munty said, don't let them fob you off, with cash or replacements.  It could have been a child playing not chickens.  Do let us knw how you get on.

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 21:00 »
sorry i hadnt noticed it was ireland ,i think its still legal there  in galway at least  :roll: , i am not for it by the way ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rifle is quicker and kinder :roll:

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 21:04 »
Thanks Munty, will I have to pay a solicitor?  I cleaned up what body parts were left and put them in the bin.  Should I put them back where I found them or just photograph them in the bin.  I couldn't bury them as we have a dog and 2 cats who would dig them up.  I just want to make sure they wont come back again.  One time I counted 24 hunting dogs on my property that came running round going mad.  I'm against hunting but I know thats not the issue here, it's having it on my property than anoys me.  I am in Northern Ireland, I assume the same hunting laws apply? were UK afterall.

I will probably have to put a gate up at the bottom of the drive which will cost a fortune as it's a 5 metre gap and also, we get lots of couriers making deliverys as we work from home so it be lots of trips to open them (probably 100 metre walk from house).  I saw the dogs jupping over the wall too though and crossing the field where the chickens forrage.

You probably remeber my last posts about frankies mites and near death, then the other chickens rejecting him etc.  He had got better, his feathers have all grown back and the other bird had stopped attacking him.  He was my favourite after all that miss fortune.  i was so delighted to see him waddle past the kitchen.  Odd how he survived!  I still hope jessie the missing one will come back but i also know she may have been dragged off before she was killed.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 21:08 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
sorry i hadnt noticed it was ireland ,i think its still legal there  in galway at least  :roll: , i am not for it by the way ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rifle is quicker and kinder :roll:

We are NORTHERN Ireland - part of the UK (Contravertially ofcourse!).  Were actually right on the border, my field is on the border, take a step off it and your in a different country!  The road down to my house also croses the border so signs change from km to miles and back again!

muntjac

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 21:09 »
you can get a free  consultation for one hour or to put the details to the solicitor . should apply in the nth so check ,but i dont think you wil have any trouble finding a " no win no fee one " working for you .

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 21:35 »
hubby has offered to take chickens bodies and photograph them.  My son was just saying 'naughty doggies' when he seen them, he didnt understand they were killing them.  When we went to give Frankie a banana at bedtime to cheer him up, Conor said - jessie?  for the other chickens, I told him the doggies had took the other chickens (stupid I know - flew away would have been a better story), he said - no, no!  then he said - chickens, more chickens Mummy!  so I think he doesnt really know whats happened, I think getting some more will help him forget it.

thank you for all your kind words.  I will keep you updated on progress.

Just to clarify - I didnt see any foxes, I saw them chasing a rabbit in the field behind the house (I know the farmer didnt give them permission AND they were upsetting his cows), so they were tresspassing there too.  When the hunter came he said 4 dogs were still missing.  S.O.B's

WG.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 21:41 »
I suggest you call your nearest Citizen's Advice Bureau

ssatt44

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 21:42 »
I seem to recall that you brits have some stiff laws reguarding dangerous dogs? If the Press gets wind of a pack threatening women and kids.... :x   I'm no hunter but this sounds like a badly run/trained pack to start with. Have other neighbors had run ins too?  

sharon in az

old az saying: shoot,shovel and shut up

Sally A

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 21:46 »
Thing is Sharon they probably aren't a dangerous breed, the owners/huntsmen are the ones that need a good slapping.

xx
Update on Hunting Dogs Killed My Chooks - NO REPLIES PLEASE

Started by pookey on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 15:08
by DeadlyNightshade
xx
what killed my chickens

Started by Ian Findlay on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 15:40
by Mrs.Apron
xx
What Bites and Killed the Chickens

Started by peter rooster on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 15, 2012, 14:35
by wildwitchy
xx
My chickens killed and ate a sparrow

Started by Ellex on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 16:23
by evie2

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 34 queries.