Throwing food...!

• 10 Replies

sarah*

• http://www.myfamilyandotherchooks.zoomshare.com
Throwing food...!
« on: July 03, 2006, 17:05 »
Hi - Our chickens have started being really fussy with their food - I can't think it's anything else but they have started sifting through, throwing it out on to the floor and only eating the grain and corn refusing anything else unless they get veg scraps late in the afternoon.  
We initially thought there might be something wrong with the food so we bought some more but it doesn't make a difference.  
We are thinking about getting a trough rather than the upright galvanised thingy they've got...has anyone else experienced this??

Thanks  :wink:
:::::::::
I love my chooks...

hermon

Throwing food...!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 18:55 »
have you had them long? it sounds just what they do chuck bits out and seive through.

sarah*

Throwing food...!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 08:21 »
we have had them for a few months and they have just started doing it, the thing is they aren't eating what they are chucking on the floors...
We give them pellets with a handful of corn and grain and add it to the hopper and in a day they can turf out the whole lot!
 :?

becky

• Experienced Member
    • http://chickentopia.blogspot.com/
Throwing food...!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 12:50 »
Hi there, My chooks did this, and still do this, the little *! I try not to give them scraps every day now, just a few times a week, as they are on grass anyway, so they dont really need them. Are your chooks picking out all the corn and throwing the pellets away? If they are, I would give them less corn, as if they eat to much of it, it can bring on a moult, and then they will slow down in laying. Just let them have pellets, and be strong willed when they come begging to you. They aren't as daft as people think, they will soon learn, you aren't bringing them treats all the time, and eat what they have.
Peas out!

hermon

Throwing food...!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 14:51 »
i can't go up to check them without taking something up with me for them!
they always get something to intice them back in their run everyday aswell! being ex batts i like to spoil them! :D  :D

sarah*

Throwing food...!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 21:23 »
Hi - I have to say everyone is spoiling them and i get scraps from all over.  I think I'll stop...
Also a bit of a strange question, do they get jealous does anyone know - one of my sussex likes me to stroke her and my black rock pecks her when I do it...??

orchardlady

Re: Throwing food...!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 23:08 »
When I first started keeping hens I used to mix the corn and pellets together and I had the same problem as you. I then changed the routine to pelts ad lib in the morning enough that it all got eaten. Then in the afternoon corn or mixed corn. They soon learn to eat up their pellets!

Good luck.

Sheila D

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 23:26 »
My chooks were very fussy, leaving the pellets and eating only the corn, but it has little nutritional value.   I started soaking the pellets in the morning with some warm water, making it into a soggy mush in a large heavy ceramic bowl that they can't tip over.  They went crazy for it.  I always leave dry pellets in a hanging feeder for when they have finished the mash.  They have another bowl of soft mash in the afternoon.  They only have corn or any other treats in the late afternoon, and then a small handful of corn at bedtime - it seems to settle them.  I put a couple of teaspoons of limestone flour per 4 chickens in the mash to harden the shells.  They usually have large carrots and sometimes a half cabbage and some dried meal worms as a special treat. 

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 08:52 »
Hi there, corn should only be given as a treat in the afternoon about an egg cup size each, however greens can be hung for them everyday cabbage, spinach cauli etc. Adding water as sheila d suggested is great you should try it they wolf it down like its a different food!!

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 09:25 »
If I had a choice between eating a pellet or some corn, I too would choose the corn.  8)
On a serious note though, I would go with what some of the others have said. Give them the pellets during the day and then as their 'treat' for the day around 5ish you give them a small amount of corn or other treat. I think this is why they are being fussy.

It might take a while to get them back into this routine and will require discipline mainly of you! Good luck!
Alan

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 21:22 »
I started off with a couple of hoppers but my birds done the same thing, scraping the food out to get what they wanted. I also had it where they were scratching the floor and flicking mud into the hopper. I decided to get a couple of metal troughs instead and they work fine. They flick the food occasionaly but none of it comes out and they very rarely manage to flick muck into it. I did the same with the water as well!

xx
Chooks throwing eggs about!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 18:56
by nnbreeder
xx
Hen throwing straw onto her back

Started by Tom Parrot on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2015, 11:24
by Tom Parrot
xx
advice please- why are my chickens throwing out their bedding?!!!

Started by plymchick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 26, 2010, 03:12
by hillfooter
xx
Food

Started by cejx on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 13:54
by joyfull

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 38 queries.