Carnivorous Plants....

• 8 Replies

toto691

Carnivorous Plants....
« on: September 09, 2006, 23:34 »
Anyone here successfull in the growing of carnivorous plants?

I currently have about 15 Venus Flytrap's split down from one original plant about 3 years ago.....  all showing large traps and healthy stems, but all green - very little red on traps  :(

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Carnivorous Plants....
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 23:51 »
I have the same problem with my fly traps. I don't know why either  :? I feed them live slugs occasionally since I figure they're pretty useless at attracting bugs without the red centres.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

spud

• Experienced Member
Carnivorous Plants....
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 17:42 »
I've tried these about 3 or 4 times with the same failed results...they always die after a couple of months....any secrets into how to keep them alive?

Thanks    :)
Best Regards,

spud

Heather_S

Carnivorous Plants....
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 18:07 »
Keep them in a dish of rainwater and only rainwater. Tap water kills them stone dead (as does letting the dish go dry). They need to always been in 1cm of rain water as they're bog plants. If they're not catching their own food, only feed them LIVE food. Not dead flies, not dead slugs, definately NOT raw mince (this rots the leaves immediately). That's the basics, really. I somehow managed to grow a sundew from seed but then the forgetful heather forgot to keep it watered (oops). They usually like full sun too.

toto691

Carnivorous Plants....
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 22:13 »
Couldnt have said it better.....  ALWAYS standing in water, and ALWAYS rain water (or if no rain - boiled water left to cool)

Also, always resist the temptation to touch the traps, it uses up a massive amount of energy to close, and cut off the stems of the flowers as soon as they begin to shoot up as this uses up energy too.

toto691

Carnivorous Plants....
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 22:42 »
And of course, the more you read up on these plants, the more youll be told that theyre almost impossible to grow more than the 1 season in this country as they grow naturally ONLY in a small part of North East Carolina, so as soon as you manage it, you end up with more plants than you can imagine, trays full.....  and theyre all your babies!!  

Heres one lot of my plants, over crowded is an understatment, but through trial and error they seem to thrive better in these conditions.....

spud

• Experienced Member
Carnivorous Plants....
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 09:24 »
Great Tips...I know mine probably was too dry then as they weren't standing in water...and they got tap water and they got dead flies...surprised they lasted as long as they did...

Will be watching out for them at the market next time round...

Great looking pics...really healthy looking plants!

Thanks   :)

Heather_S

Carnivorous Plants....
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 09:29 »
Nice. Lots of plants there. Mine are really quite crowded looking in comparison to your's. Have your's ever flowered? They're really pretty flowers. Mine decided to flower in late winter/early spring.

toto691

Carnivorous Plants....
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 11:23 »
Quote from: "Heather_S"
Nice. Lots of plants there. Mine are really quite crowded looking in comparison to your's. Have your's ever flowered? They're really pretty flowers. Mine decided to flower in late winter/early spring.

They always try and flower around spring time (if my failing memory serves me correct) and i always cut them down as soon as i recognise a flower stem. I do seem to feel sorry for one in every batch though and let it flower!!! :tongue2:

xx
carnivorous plants

Started by adal on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post February 04, 2016, 11:02
by Pilbury
xx
Carnivorous Plants (not Venus fly traps though)

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 07:18
by Aunt Sally
xx
First Taste Of Summer, But From A Carnivorous Plant

Started by TheChilliMan on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2008, 10:14
by siztenboots
xx
What flowering plants or garden plants do you dislike?

Started by Oliveview on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 00:23
by Kiwi

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 38 queries.