New Lawns

• 36 Replies

Sally A

New Lawns
« on: October 07, 2007, 19:14 »
We planted a lawn from seed last month, it's coming on nicely albeit a bit patchy.

Regarding the first cut,we have been given conflicting advice.

Is it best to roll it, or strim it to get it to thicken?

Am a bit loathe to use the petrol mower on it as I reckon it would just rip the whole lot out.

muntjac

New Lawns
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 19:23 »
being this late in the eason i would leave it completly alone now its not going to grow so much if the temperature drops as it should , in the new year id take a flymo preferably a hover and just have it on its highest setting to just take the top off . the normal mover with a cylinder type blade will also be on the same setting and do just a good a job.then look to sow any bare patches with a mix of compost and seed rake the ground before hand to break it up slightly and then sow ,protect with baco foil lines across them :)
still alive /............

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
New Lawns
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 19:50 »
Good advice as usual Muntjac,

Sally A rolling will not thicken a lawn, cutting does just like pinching the tips out on a plant you need to bush.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Sally A

New Lawns
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 19:53 »
I'll tell OH you all said to get the scissors out.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
New Lawns
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 19:55 »
Quote from: "Sally A"

Only if He's been a bad lad  :lol:

WG.

New Lawns
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 19:55 »
eyebrow tweezers, tell him  :wink:

mkhenry

New Lawns
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 21:17 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Good advice as usual Muntjac,

Sally A rolling will not thicken a lawn, cutting does just like pinching the tips out on a plant you need to bush.

I just know that I am going to get it in the neck for saying this but here goes anyway.

Grass should be rolled to thicken it. the best time to sow a new lawn is in late summer or early spring so as it was mild you are ok for time. :lol:
This process is called "Tillering" This is the same as pinching out the tips of a plant to make it bud at its base.
You should roll it once it gets about 2" tall then cut it after a month.The first cut should be at the highest you lawnmower will allow.This will give you a lush lawn.Remember it takes about 6 months for the lawn to fill out completly,before then it will look a bit sparce.Worry not it will fill out. :wink:

This advice was first given by none other than Mr Geof Hamilton in one of his excellent books and many times on his TV programmes :lol:

Now I must sit back and await my fate.
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
New Lawns
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 22:35 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"

Whys that then MKH ?

I have no problems with people disagreeing with what I write, at least you have the good manners to be polite, and like I say no knows everything

Must admit I was never told that rolling thickens a lawn, I was taught that it was the actual cutting that makes it thicken apical dominance and all that.
I'll have to go check my notes  :lol:

But then if Mr G H has said it must be right

mkhenry

New Lawns
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 22:47 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Quote from: "mkhenry"

Whys that then MKH ?

I have no problems with people disagreeing with what I write, at least you have the good manners to be polite, and like I say no knows everything

Must admit I was never told that rolling thickens a lawn, I was taught that it was the actual cutting that makes it thicken apical dominance and all that.
I'll have to go check my notes  :lol:
But then if Mr G H has said it must be right

A gentleman is what you are. :lol: Its just that I do not like disageeing with people who know what they are talking about and you always do.

However you know that I always check and then double check my facts,(So that I do not make mistakes like the other day.)and this one I am certain of.
After planting rolling at the right time does thicken grass and causes it to grow from the stems beneath the ground.
If you look on the seed packet I am almost certain it will advise rolling after planting etc.It really is good practise. :D
Also the late great Geoff says so in his book Gardeners World.Practical Gardening Course. on page.165. :lol:
I have just found it.It took a lot of looking :?

Trillium

New Lawns
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 22:47 »
Over here lawns are rolled strictly to flatten out bumps from winter heaving. Otherwise, rolling is frowned on as the weight tends to crush the roots and eventually kill the grass plants. G.H. usually gave very good advice but I truly disagree with this bit. If you want to thicken, then trim the plant by cutting - with W.G's tweezers if you're that much in the dog house  :wink:  :lol:

Bigbadfrankie

New Lawns
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 22:49 »

and the ruler
always have a target
and an objective.

mkhenry

New Lawns
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 22:50 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Over here lawns are rolled strictly to flatten out bumps from winter heaving. Otherwise, rolling is frowned on as the weight tends to crush the roots and eventually kill the grass plants. G.H. usually gave very good advice but I truly disagree with this bit. If you want to thicken, then trim the plant by cutting - with W.G's tweezers if you're that much in the dog house  :wink:  :lol:

Thats strange because I have just checked a packet of seed that recommends rolling.The strange bit is its Canadian Seed. :wink:

mkhenry

New Lawns
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 22:53 »
Quote from: "Trillium"

For 100s of years the Brits have rolled their lawns.
Look at Lords etc.You can not tell me that they are doing the wrong thing :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Trillium

New Lawns
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 22:54 »
When brand new seed is dropped onto the ground, it's recommend that you roll it to get the seed to stick into the dirt so it doesn't blow away. After that, forget the roller, you'll only crush fragile roots. Can't say I'd fancy a  50 lb roller passing over my head - I'd lose what few threads I had  :lol:

Sally A

New Lawns
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 09:14 »
Hmmm, so both answers could be correct.

Nothing on the seed packet as we bought a 25kg sack, must admit a high set cut makes more sense to me than a roll.

It is a couple of inches tall now so may go for a high strim.

xx
It's about lawns?

Started by Welsh Merf on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2020, 14:31
by Welsh Merf
xx
Lawns (again!)

Started by viettaclark on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 22:43
by viettaclark
xx
lawns

Started by new_2_veg on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post January 14, 2008, 05:19
by DD.
xx
Moss on lawns

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

19 Replies
Last post September 06, 2012, 16:30
by AlaninCarlisle

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 32 queries.