big fat grubs

• 14 Replies

chrissie B

big fat grubs
« on: September 17, 2007, 18:53 »
while hubby was digging over the compost heap today we found loads of big grubs they were fat and had red faces,they were ugly , dont have pics .
we took out asmany as we could find .
how can i get rid of them :?:  and what are they :?:  and are they going to cause damage :?:
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
grubs
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 19:27 »
They could be Chafer grubs, which are pretty big and generally ruin your turf either directly or via birds/animals digging up the turf trying to eat them.  If you go into Google images and enter chafer grubs you will see pics of them which will help you identify if it is them or not.  

As for getting rid of them i find a size 12 boot does the trick, or you could take a leaf out of the aborigines book and eat them like witchetty grubs.  Don't recommend the latter though
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
big fat grubs
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 19:28 »
Cockchafer bugs larvae perhaps ? eat roots etc

Here's a pic http://naturenet.net/blogs/index.php/2007/05/21/cockchafers
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Trillium

big fat grubs
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 19:40 »
I've just been stripping off sod for some new pathways and found loads of the little beggars. I wear garden gloves all the time and don't mind squishing all I see. But the sheer number tells me I'll have to buy grub killing treatment. It's not organic, but short of ripping up the whole lawn, it's a way to control them. Most of my insect eating birds have left for warmer climes so it's safe now to add this sort of stuff to the grass.

chrissie B

big fat grubs
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 08:11 »
thanks for the prompt reply, as mine are in the compost do you think there is a big problem we took out about 30 that we could see, i have a rose bush near the compost and a huge rosemary plant 5 ft tall , when its cooler we intend to move the rose any way cos its not happy where it is and next door throw food over for the dog and the rose gets it and the dog gets a blooming nose trying to get the food out of the rose.
chrissie b

muntjac

big fat grubs
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 10:51 »
cover the manure heap with a black plastic sheet and try to cook em out  over winter :wink:
still alive /............

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
big fat grubs
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 21:08 »
Spread it out and let the chooks on it if you have any ?

David.

big fat grubs
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 06:18 »
If you use them as fishing hook bait instead of maggots, the minnows don't get eat/suck them dry before bigger fish.

I'm sure a heard from a professional gardener some time ago that badgers dig them up and cause damage.

Trillium

big fat grubs
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 23:20 »
You'll definitely need to rid your compost of the grubs. If you leave them, they'll just breed onto whatever it is that lays them. Mostly the grubs feed on grass roots and do a lot of lawn damage, same to fleshier flower roots if you're adding this compost to them. If they're living in your compost, then the pile is obviously not hot enough and could benefit from turning, at which time you could pick them out and squish - or stomp.

hermon

big fat grubs
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 14:28 »
that seems very ignorant to just kill what ever you find in your garden why not leave them for the birds?

chrissie B

big fat grubs
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 12:19 »
thats eisier said than done as these grubs although being fat can move quiet quickly and dont want them all over the place chomping at my plants , any way they got a fair chance cos i put them in a carrier bag ,all those grubs would have made a propper mess of my flip flops , ugg.
chrissie b

Trillium

big fat grubs
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 14:54 »
Quote from: "hermon"
that seems very ignorant to just kill what ever you find in your garden why not leave them for the birds?

Because, as Chrissie says, they can move quickly and burrow back into the soil, faster than birds can find them. They do a lot of damage mostly to grass roots. To leave them as such is like saying don't kill aphids, slugs or carrot fly - too soon you're infested with them. That happened to a local city - mega grub invasion that the town council had to take action on or lose acres of city plantings.
Most of us are not indiscriminate bug killers, we just kill the ones that are true pests which we find in our growing areas.

chrissie B

big fat grubs
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 16:39 »
i have discovered that these big fat grubs may be a funny type of moth that looks like a humming bird its just the same size and lives on nectar dont know the name as yet but am on the trail
chrissie b

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
big fat grubs
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 18:27 »
In the Organinc Gardening catalogue there is a remedy for Chaffer Grubs in the lawn!!

Nematode . . .  Heterohabditis megidis  (bless you  :roll:)  should be applied August / Septembe when grubs 1.5 cm and active .

.. before they dig deeper when it gets cold!
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

chrissie B

big fat grubs
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 18:34 »
thanks for the info.

xx
grubs

Started by doug hutch on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 13:21
by 8doubles
xx
big ugly grubs . . . . .

Started by daveinmanc on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post December 01, 2007, 10:16
by muntjac
xx
Chafer Grubs

Started by malcbrown on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2014, 09:12
by malcbrown
xx
Strange white grubs

Started by Ruby Red on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 23:44
by Piccolo

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 31 queries.