tomatoes

• 5 Replies

chrissie B

tomatoes
« on: September 09, 2007, 12:14 »
i was wondering would some cherry tomato grow inside during the winter  :?:
i have a nice deep kitchen window and was wondering how big a pot i would need for one of those feeding ect.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Sally A

tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 12:18 »
suggest you give it a whirl, i think daylight hours will count for more than temperature where you are, you may also need to give them a shake to pollinate.

Depending on where the seeds came from, you might need to trick them into thinking it's growing time - perhaps a spell in the cooler - I'm sure someone on here has tried it before and will be along with a definite answer.

Sally

chrissie B

tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 13:26 »
im in northern greece and the winters are not to bad last year was just like spring , although the 4 previous we had snow up to our deriair , was hoping to just have a couple of plants in my kitchen also i have planted some parsnips , which we do not get here at all :cry:  :cry:  :cry: not had any luck with them at all , will just have to smuggle some back for crimbo.
chrissie b

Trillium

tomatoes
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 19:35 »
That'll be tricky with toms because their flowering depends heavily on amount of daylight hours - which declines with winter. You can always try though. Use as big a pot as will fit, have drainage pebbles at the bottom, and good soil inside, no potting mix junk. Try for a patio type variety which won't grow tall. You might have to hand pollinate any flowers with a small  soft paint brush. And add tom fertilizer regularly.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
tomatoes
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 22:03 »
But being further south than us, don't you get more even days and nights than us Chrissie?

When I lived in Malta, it seemed as if it always got dark around 8pm, and it just happened.  One minute it was day time and the next wham, it was night!!!

While reading all my back issues of Smallholder, there was a lady in an article, who always grows her tomatoes on her dining room windowsill, and she lives in England, and the tomatoes are only grown in 6inch pots!!!!  So go for it girl.  What you gotta lose?  A few tomato seeds!!

chrissie B

tomatoes
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 12:39 »
we do get a bit more sun than most and my seeds are just starting to show so i will have to sort out a pot , although 6ins seems to be a bit small.
my window sill is 2ft thick so i will be able to put a bigger one on and once the grape vine leaves have dropped there will be a lot more suncoming the window .for next year ive ordered some bush toms so they are easier to manage in pots and also going to try the upside down method , already collecting the 10 ltr paint pots at least it will give nextdoors a giggle they are allways saying you english and your ideas .
chrissie b

xx
tomatoes

Started by alicemandy on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 11:15
by DD.
moved
MOVED: Leggy tomatoes

Started by New shoot on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post March 31, 2023, 07:32
by New shoot
xx
Tomatoes - Hate to eat them but still grow them

Started by scentedstock on General Gardening

21 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 17:32
by wighty
moved
MOVED: my tomatoes are bitter

Started by New shoot on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 24, 2022, 14:32
by New shoot

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 32 queries.