roses

• 29 Replies

chrissie B

roses
« on: July 16, 2007, 13:45 »
dose anyone have the gen on roses in a hot climate?
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

wellingtons

I've never grown them ...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 15:21 »
... in a hot climate, but I do know that they like sunshine to get the best flowers.  They don't do well in containers because they're naturally deep rooted, so I see no reason why you couldn't do well, provided you get the watering right early in the season.

They like a rich soil but it also needs to be free draining and they prefer a neutral soil rather than either very acid or alkaline

chrissie B

muck
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 14:12 »
they get plenty water and muck and plant food but some times we are getting yellow leaves , is that too much water?its just so blooming hot at the moment.
chrissie b

chrissie B

Re: muck
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 14:13 »
Quote from: "chrissie B"
they get plenty water and muck and plant food but some times we are getting yellow leaves , is that too much water?its just so blooming hot at the moment.
chrissie b

weeeed

roses
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 19:00 »
Remember, a lot of roses originate in Turkey.  The yellowing could be that you are feeding too much of the wrong food.  Yellow leaves on plants can mean a lack of iron.  However, just a thought. Are you putting young manure near them, quickest way to lose a rose is to put muck on them that is too fresh. :?:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

chrissie B

muck
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 17:43 »
thanks for the advice , i dont know how old the muck is ist quite fine with bits of goat poo in it it has no smell(relief) and comes in handy sized bags which are ones i can manage without the help of my hubby.
i also give a sprinkle of tomato stuff and my own compost and some pot ash , is that too much do you think ???
got to go need a cuppa .
chrissie b

weeeed

roses
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 21:01 »
well Chrissie, I think your roses know a good deal when they've got one! Actually I would just use the stuff you are getting in bags, leave the tom food but use banana skins. They will give you the best flowers you've ever seen. It's the nitrogen in them I think. Good luck but just remember I've been swimming   in rain and sewage since the end of May! My new plot  is full of weeds and not a thing I can do about it.  :wink:

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
roses
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 22:06 »
How do you use the banana skins? sorry if its a dumb question  :oops:

Nicky

Trillium

roses
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 15:50 »
I just dig a very shallow trench - 1/2 inch deep under the bush, drop in the skin, then recover so it's not teeming with fruitflies. I'd also use a proper rose feed rather than tom food which is formulated a bit differently. Yellowing leaves could also be a shortage of sulphur (acidity) so check your pH level if you can. It could be altering from your water which is often more alkaline.

chrissie B

roses
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 19:43 »
thanks for the advice weeed i shall try it tomorrow, sorry to hear about the soggy plot wish i could send some sun to dry it up,here is the opposite too hot well over 40 degs you know what that can do to your veggies also my hubby found 2 abandoned pups down the river when walking our dog ,he brought them home and we had to keep them a week til our local dog lady could take them friday :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: smiles all round .you wouldnt think 2 small pups could trash a whole garden in a fwe days :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
but its friday tomorrow thank god .
hope your plots ok soon
chrissei b

chrissie B

roses
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 13:30 »
water here has a lot of minerals in it any we get tonns of lime scale , im thinking of getting a water but ,
how long do you leave the banana under the bush will it biodegrad?
chrissie b

chrissie B

roses
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 08:45 »
not seeing much difference with my roses as jet after putting the banana skins under them do you ththink they may need more ?
yours greatfully full of bananas
chrissie b

Trillium

roses
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 20:18 »
Banana skins aren't a quick fix solution; they're slow term help. You can keep adding as many skins as you like, they'll all eventually degrade. Next year you'll notice improvement. In the meantime add any rabbit poop if you can get any - it's the best for roses as it's not 'hot' and won't burn anything. I also add alfalfa pellets (as in horse feed) around each plant and that helps too. but water it immediately or it's rodent feed.

chrissie B

roses
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 12:13 »
dont know about rabbit people here just eat them never seen a live one here only skinned in the butcher , would goat poo doo :?: can get that from the river for free.
chrissie b

Trillium

roses
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 15:49 »
I think goat poo would be fresher and would burn the roots. You'd need to compost/age it first and it would be good. Would you know anyone who raises rabbits for market or such? they might not want the poo. It really is the one and only poo that can be used fresh. Over here top rose growers for shows use only rabbit poo. The alfalfa pellets are cheap enough I would think and you'd see definite results in a few months. I buy a 25 lb sack for about 5 quid UK money. No idea what UK prices would be. It's horse feed. Store in a metal dustbin lined with a plastic garbage bag. Alfalfa is also excellent for irises.

xx
What would you do with these roses?

Started by Carrotcake on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 14:17
by Goosegirl
xx
Roses

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 19:10
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
roses

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 10:15
by chrissie B
clip
Roses

Started by Lardman on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post January 11, 2016, 20:47
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 32 queries.