Dahlias from seeds?

• 29 Replies

muckbutno money

Dahlias from seeds?
« on: July 10, 2007, 21:35 »
This may seem like a very dim question but I am very, very new to gardening.

When you grow dahlias from seeds do they produce tubors? My grandad always grew dahlias but only from tubors, never seeds.
Never argue with an idiot, those watching might not know the difference!

GafferGamgee

• Experienced Member
Dahlias from seeds?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 21:41 »
I put about 2 dozen dahlia seedlings in a border and they have grown very nicely to about 10'' ....no flowers though....
I will see what happens next year!!
You can take a horse to water....but a pencil must be lead!!
(No chemicals ......yet!)

WG.

Dahlias from seeds?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 22:40 »
They should still flower this year.

splodger

Dahlias from seeds?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 23:16 »
dahlias from seed are generally regarded as annuals - and are easy to grow - but are not so good at producing a good root / tuber stock for the following years.

singles and semi doubles generally perform better from seed.

particular varieties are tricky at the best of times - but i seem to be able to grow them well enough - which means you shoud be albe to too
 :wink:

shaun

Dahlias from seeds?
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 21:14 »
and you never know what your gonna get when growing them from seed  :wink:

on the subject of dahlias what do you think is the best way of division would you split the tuber,take a stem cutting,or take a shoot cutting of the tuber ?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

splodger

Dahlias from seeds?
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 22:18 »
i dig up my dahlias once the first frost has got them. i dig them up - cleam them and store them - over winter - then normally sort em out in spring.

when you dig them up - clean them off - get rid of slugs - i store in compost / paper / vermiculite / etc - in my shed (mice and rats love them - so make sure they are rodent free.

in the spring - i tend to split the tubers - normally the tubers with stalks are better - but i've found that many small bits still produce good growth.

i put the bulk of tubers - as they are all connected - in the flowering position and i pot up the loose tubers in pots of compost - that i keep dry - do not over water - they will do better without intervention.

the potted odds will send up shoots - you can either take basal cuttings - or let the tubers swell and plant them up - i do both - depends who whats dahlias - as i give them to local charities.

dahlias are greedy, thirsty, tempramental - but blooming beautiful - i love them.

shaun

Dahlias from seeds?
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 22:27 »
nice one splodge
when you say basal cuttings what is the process of this method ?ive got a vague idea i think  :?

splodger

Dahlias from seeds?
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 22:31 »
blimey shaun - that was quick m8  :wink:

splodger

Dahlias from seeds?
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 22:47 »
maye if wg is on the ball - he could put this in the glossary! - probably too much "wg" by now though  :lol:  :wink:

basal cuttings for dahlias :

in late feb  or early march - take out stored tubers. - clean up and take out any rot / disease bits.

you might dust cut pieces with a sulphur compound - but i don't bother  :wink:

put tubers in boxes or pots of compost - make it light - cover up to old crown - water just enough to keep tubers moist.

two or three weeks - shoots will appear - when the shoots are about 4 inches tall - cut them off, just above their base.

you can now treat as you would a cutting.

hope that helps shaun - i can give more details if really needed - but not tonight - i'm shagged  :roll:

weeeed

Dahlias from seeds?
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 15:59 »
Quote from: "splodger"
blimey shaun - that was quick m8  :wink:

In a pot in my garden live 1 ancient begonia and 1 equally ancient dahlia! They live very happily together with no help from me at all! However, my friend's query was do seed grown plants grow tubers or do they just die at the end of the season? :?:  :roll:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

WG.

Dahlias from seeds?
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 16:58 »
maye if wg is on the ball - he could put this in the glossary!
Will certainly put it in the Glossary now that I've found it.   Post other suggestions to Glossary thread though please since I don't read all threads.

shaun

Dahlias from seeds?
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 20:21 »
any secret remedies to combat rust splodger.i know my old fella used to use parrifin and bleach diluted i'm sure he put other stuff in there too

Trillium

Dahlias from seeds?
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 15:26 »
Yes, Weeeed, seed grown dahlias will produce tubers. Not particularly large ones the first year, but they're there. As Splodger says, they'll have to be taken up for winter if you want to keep them going.
Personally, I find that available dahlia seeds tend to be for the more dwarf varieties rather than dinnerplate sized ones. Perhaps in the UK you have more variety than we do.  Only catch with growing either seed or tubers, is that they flower so darned late that the frost often catches them first, so plant out very early with protection. (gee, that almost sounds like a condom ad)

splodger

Dahlias from seeds?
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 16:54 »
Quote from: "shaun"
any secret remedies to combat rust splodger.i know my old fella used to use parrifin and bleach diluted i'm sure he put other stuff in there too

i have never encountered rust on dahlias shaun - sorry m8

there are several fungicides that work on other (more rusty) plants - but most are skin irritants.

thiram is probably the most useful fungicide - but i very rarely have to use chemicals on my garden - it's far too small - and very well looked after  :wink:

shaun

Dahlias from seeds?
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 08:00 »
i have never encountered rust on dahlias shaun - sorry m8

:oops:  :oops: thats because there not dahlias splodge there Chrysanthemums , we all make mistakes even me :wink:

xx
dahlias

Started by stan deakin on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 16:22
by stan deakin
xx
Dahlias

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 08:09
by New shoot
xx
Dahlias

Started by Babstreefern on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 00:50
by Paul Plots
xx
dahlias

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post February 22, 2018, 18:13
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 32 queries.