Any jam experts out there?

• 16 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« on: November 03, 2006, 23:25 »
When I made my strawberry jam this year, it didn't set quite as much as I wanted, but it didn't matter as it tastes soo good, but my blackberry jam has OVER set.  Anyone know what I did wrong?  Followed the recipe exactly, but you cut the stuff with a knife!!!!!

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 23:27 »
over sugar ? to much pectin and cooked to beyond normal setting point ?the brambles this year have been very sweet .well mine have  . so maybe this has  added to it over setting  :D
still alive /............

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 01:05 »
Over cooking is the most usual problem - test frequently is Val's motto.

Solid jam can be taken and placed in a warm dish with a little hot water to make it spreadable. It won't store but you can do a bit in a ramekin or something and keep in the fridge for a day or two.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 11:58 »
use it up in jam tarts n the like ,want my address for you to send em to ?/ :wink:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 16:40 »
Thanks guys, perhaps if the brambles were very sweet like you said Karl, then maybe the sugar did make it too much.  I don't think I overcooked it, as I followed the recipe exactly, and actually thought the cooking time didn't seem enough, still, Its okay to eat, and yes I did add a little hot water to the last bit in one jar to soften it up to put on my greek yoghurt the other day!!!!!

So where do you want the jam tarts sent Karl????  :lol:  (do you like lemon curd??????

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 19:57 »
lemon curd .yuckkkkkkkkkkkkkk lolo.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 22:42 »
I'll have the lemon curd - lovely :)

James

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 13:58 »
Your strawberry jam runs the risk of going mouldy.  Tip it out of the jars, boil it up again - with the juice of a lemon or two - and rebottle into freshly cleaned jars.

The reverse with the bramble.  Boil it up and add some water, rebottle - you should end up with more jam than you started with...

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 14:57 »
As to the strawberry James.  I did go and buy some more pectin and reboiled it, still the same, but as to going mouldy, tere is only one jar left now!!!!! lol so I don't think I'll have that problem lol

But I may try the bramble again, like you said, I may end up with a bit more jam!!!! Thanks

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 22:59 »
What's the longest any of you have kept jam for?  I read that it will only last a year, but I made some Rhubarb and ginger back in 2003.  Like the strawberry, it wasn't as set as I'd have liked,so I didn't eat it all.  I'm loathe to throw it away, and as it isn't going mouldy, it hasn't gone a funny colour and it doesn't smell off, so is it still okay do you think?  (These are new jars not yet opened by the way!)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 23:24 »
If sealed, looking and smelling good - I would trust it.
As a rule of thumb with shop bought food, the shorter the use by date the less safe to extend it. If I have it right:
Use By - don't trust after the date
Best Before - you can extend it.
If the cat won't eat it, it's best ham :)

James

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 22:29 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
What's the longest any of you have kept jam for?  I read that it will only last a year, but I made some Rhubarb and ginger back in 2003.  

It will be extremely dangerous.  In fact, it is too dangerous to put into landfill.  I however have a special device for disposing of it.  Very generously I shall not charge you for the disposal, and if you post it to me I'll even pay the postage...

My girlfriend's aunt's rather large and rambling house hasn't really been touched since gf's grandmother died in 1973.

We are currently in the surreal situation of eating grannie's marmalade and blackcurrent jam, which are quite delicious.  Oh yes, and the 1950s pots of Canadian honey which were sent back whilst rationing was still in force.

If I die, I'll let you know.  Now, about that rhubarb & ginger jam....

muntjac

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 22:31 »
got plum jam from 2000 n its loverly

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 21:06 »
Oh thanks guys, 1973 James??????  Boy, you ARE brave, but if its still okay, well then, enjoy!!!!

Perhaps they will be like fine wines.  Sell for mega money, but no one eats them, they just sell on to another connoisseur like one of my bosses used to do.  He said I paid £500 for that wine Ann Was it any good I said naively, don't know he said, could be dodo, but you don't drink it, you keep it for a couple of years then sell it to someone else!!!!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 08:43 »
I had an expensive bottle of wine (well by my standards) that was kept for but not drunk on my 21st, Marriage, Birth of Daughter - can't remember when we actually did get around to it but it wasn't very good. I think it  was worth £40 when I got it back in 1975.
Nowadays we consider £2.50 expensive (but we buy on our Viking raids on Calais)

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 34 queries.