new spade

• 5 Replies

Helencroft

new spade
« on: December 09, 2011, 11:53 »
I would like to get a new spade and fork as a Christmas present from my family.  Can anyone recommend a make and what to look for?  I'm 5ft 1 and left footed if that makes a difference?

Thank you
Helen

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: new spade
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 13:29 »
I find spades a bit of a personal thing, I would suggest you pop along to a few shops and try them, not digging of course but to feel the weight, height even the way the handle feels etc, I have four spades, three of which I hate to use.
I generally prefer the stainless types as the surface of the spade is very smooth and will cut through soil better that the painted ones.
Hope this helps
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 13:31 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

kosh42|EFG

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 17:01 »
Or go left field and get an Azada... I love mine and my spade never gets used any more...

Busy Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 17:28 »
There are 2 types of spade used regularly a heavy spade for hard digging and what I would say is a cutting spade.

The 1st spade (Spear and Jackson or Bulldog £27) would be for heavy work tough soils and clay with the odd stone needing prised out. 

2nd spade same makes (£17) edging grass planting shrubs and light digging in farly loose soils or manure, a good bit lighter in manufacture espically the spade metal.

I personally own the 1st spade as I would be a bit hard on the spade with work and it lasts me a bit longer without breaking the shaft or bending the spade.

Busy Bee

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 21:22 »
As Aidy suggests, definitely try out a few in the shops for length and comfort of handling. If you're using the item, then you need to indicate which one will work for you. The giver will no doubt be happier to give you one you really prefer.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 21:39 »
I'm the same height as you and I have stuck with a border fork and spade.  They have smaller heads, but that means you're not trying to move too much soil in one go.  Definitely go and try a few out - some have really nasty edges / burrs on the plastic handles.

Mine are Wilkinson Sword s/steel and they've done pretty well so far.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
New spade!

Started by Browser on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 20:10
by Browser
xx
A nice new spade?

Started by grumpyoldmark on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 16:21
by Runwell-Steve
xx
bent me spade

Started by 3 allotments on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 10:07
by Kleftiwallah
xx
HOW DID YOU CHOOSE YOUR SPADE ?

Started by Slowgrind on Equipment Shed

31 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 21:16
by Runwell-Steve

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 34 queries.