Aquilegia/ Peony Problem

• 5 Replies

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
Aquilegia/ Peony Problem
« on: June 28, 2013, 10:25 »
Hi  :)
We moved to this bungalow near Rotherham just over 3 years ago & during the first year we dug up a small grass area (naff bit of lawn) & converted it into a deep corner border with a hydrangea, day lilies, ferns, snow in summer & loads of bulbs but 2 plants are confusing us, the aquilegia & the peony. Both flowered as normal last year but this year the peony ( which looks very healthy ) isn't showing any signs of flowering & the 2 aquilegia have gone made, according to the internet & books this type of aquilegia are supposed to grow about 24/30" tall, ours are 50+" tall. They look great but we've had to steak them because of the wind & 1 of them is at the front of the bed so total hiding everything behind it.
Anybody come across this before or know why ??  ::)
Keith/Sharon.  :)

Stree

Re: Aquilegia/ Peony Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 10:37 »
Paeonies are known for sulking, especially if their roots are disturbed. It will probably flower again next year.
Is it well watered? Mulched? Well drained? All these things help.

Aquilegias self seed profusely and rarely come true from seed, so you will get lots of variety.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 11:09 »
Sorry can't help, but my peonies sulked the first year, but they have been brilliant ever since.  Except when it rains like it is now and they are trying to sweep the ground, even though they are tied up!

But have the peonies been in for 3 years too?  They should have got over the sulks by now!

Debz

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 12:46 »
Just be careful that there isn't too much soil on top of the peonies.  I believe they like their roots to be quite near the surface.  My mum had some with beautiful lush growth but never a flower and my sister had the same ones but you could almost see the roots through the surface of the soil and she had the most amazing flowers.  They don't appear to like being pampered too much.  With the acquilegias, some years they are really tall and other years not so much.  They are so beautiful though, I don't care.  Not sure if it's a weather / warmth issue with them.

Agatha

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 15:11 »
Agree with Debz that it might be a depth problem if peony has flowered normally before - have you mulched the border since planting up?  Also how much sun does the border get?  I work in one garden where I have had to move the peonies as they had become overshadowed by other plants and although they were producing lots of leaves they stopped flowering.  They seem to like a lot of sun on their roots.   
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 18:09 »
I'm with Agatha on not buring peony roots too deep. You want them just barely covered with soil, no mulch. I've never ever fed or mulched mine and get the most magnificent displays every year.

As for aquilegias, it sounds like they've found something they love in your soil, so enjoy. Wish mine got that tall but at least they spread everywhere for me  :D

xx
Aquilegia

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 11, 2018, 11:06
by snowdrops
xx
Moving aquilegia?

Started by Sweetpea C on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 18:16
by sion01
xx
Peony

Started by black diamond on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 14, 2007, 08:59
by little sweetpeas
xx
peony

Started by A Reyt Tayty on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 11:03
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 35 queries.