HELP / advice on generator

• 8 Replies

FatGaz

• Experienced Member
« on: June 18, 2007, 22:46 »
I have bought a new 720W generator, which pushes out a continuous 650W. I have also bought a 600W hedge trimmer; a 600W grass strimmer; a 600W drill, and a 420W jigsaw.

The first time I used the generator, I used it with the grass strimmer briefly, just to see if it was working - everything seemed fine.

I have since plugged all the above into the generator and none of them work! What am I doing wrong? Surely I cant have blown all the fuses on the equipment? Would there be an internal fuse on the generator that could have blown? Could the generator somehow not be delivering the power?

Any advice desperately needed!

Many Thanks
:mrgreen:   GAZ   :mrgreen:

WG.

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 23:01 »
Someone will have a better answer for you but I do know that some appliances draw very much more current at start-up time than when in operation.

You aren't running a deep freeze. I know, but the compressor in a deep freeze draws a very high start-up current (for a matter of a few seconds)

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 05:08 »
there is very often a trip out button/ reset on generators that can be knocked against very easily. have a look at the manual to see if thats the case. have a look also to make sure that your power tools dont draw more than 650 watt.

donald.cape

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:53 »
If the generator has a voltmeter check that first. The overload/trip device is normally a thermal type that will need reseting although as none of the appliances are above the generator mean output I would be suprised if it has tripped. The 720 watt output is the maximum rating and the generator should be able to handle this for a few seconds, eg if the appliance you are using stalls or becomes jammed. If the generator is fitted with an output fuse it should have discrimination, meaning that the overload/ trip should be the first thing to operate before any fuses etc.
I have a similar size generator, (Wolf bought from Screwfix) and I run it with a 750 watt fan heater plugged in for five minutes every month or so without any problems. Inrush or start-up current shouldn't last long enough to cause the overload to operate.

FatGaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 22:25 »
Mine is also a 'Wolf' from Screwfix. Had it running again today - changed the fuse in my strimmer and plugged it in - nothing! - The voltmeter was on '0' constantly (must admit that the first time I used it, it wasnt earthed). Have tried pushing the 'reset' button, but nothing changes.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 22:34 »
The tools on start up will draw slightly more power, also if you strain them there power consuption rises. Like gwiz I expect all the gen problems are just the overload tripped. When using them try not to let the revs of the power tool or the gen drop.
Both will lead to tears.
always have a target
and an objective.

Gwiz

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 04:59 »
sounds like it's u/s.
send it back.

mushroom

Re: HELP / advice on generator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 14:28 »
Quote from: "FatGaz"

I have since plugged all the above into the generator and none of them work!

not all at once, i hope!  :shock:

donald.cape

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 14:39 »
Don't worry about the earth. The spike is just to make sure the generator frame etc is at the same potential as the general mass of earth. plug the appliances into the mains if they work the generator is faulty. I think the voltmeter reads the output voltage directly from the generator before the overload reset, but without a wiring diagram I couldnd't be sure without stripping it down.It sound as though it could be the voltage regulator thats the problem. I would give Screwfix a ring and tell them you want a new one they've always been OK with me when I want something changed. If you ask them nicely they will send you a new one out so that you you can use the packaging to return ithe faulty one. I deal with them quite a lot in my business as a self employed electrician

xx
Wolf 720 generator

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 22:10
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Generator Conked Out

Started by MickyB on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 09:54
by MickyB
xx
Generator suggestions...

Started by Bigfatsi on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 23:08
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
generator moter

Started by peter james on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 18:25
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 35 queries.