Water Butt Offer from Yorkshire Water

• 20 Replies

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
« on: May 28, 2006, 09:24 »
Hi all,

After all the excitment of receiving my £4 compost bin, I had a look about on 'tinternet for a similar water butt offer.  Yorkshire Water are offering a complete water butt for £34.95, details here

We have a couple of water butts in our garden left by the previous tenants, but I'm still tempted :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 10:23 »
Doesn't seem too much of a bargain to me - I was in Bridgemere garden centre yesterday and they had a butt and stand for 39.99. They're not known for their cheapness either.

I did get an amazing cloche/ tent thingy for 19.99 - will photograph that later today. I hope.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Posh Bin

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 19:07 »
I bought two water butts and stands from B&Q last year. I can't remember the price but it must have been a lot less than £35 cuz I wouldn't have parted with 70 quid to catch some water from the greenhouse!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 22:51 »
Quote from: "Posh Bin"
I bought two water butts and stands from B&Q last year. I can't remember the price but it must have been a lot less than £35 cuz I wouldn't have parted with 70 quid to catch some water from the greenhouse!

Are those the ones with your initials monogrammed in gold leaf on them :)

You'd think these water companies would be subsidising water butts to save the precious stuff in this terrible drought we're suffering.

I mean it's so bad I have to go six inches down on the plot to hit running water .

noshed

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 17:02 »
I agree the water companies should be bit more encouraging with their water butt prices. I got a B&Q one (210L) with stand for about £34 and I'm thinking of putting in a siphon system round the plot using blue barrels if I can get one or two, if not, dustbins.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 16:18 »
Hi noshed.

Got any idea where you would got to get some of those blue barrels I could do with some.
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

noshed

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 16:30 »
According to my plot neighbours you can get them from a scrap yard near our council depot - they charge £6. I haven't had time to get down there when they're open yet but they do have loads piled up against their fence. So that would be one idea - ring round a few scrap yards.
I have seen some loafing about an industrial estate I have to go to sometimes - so that might be another possible source. Apparently they're used for fruit juice and things so you could try food processing places. Just check on what the previous contents have been - plutonium would not be wise.

stompy

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 16:33 »
Just got 2 blue barrels 45 gallons each. :D

My old man reads meters for a living, and he got talking to some guy in his house, he had seen a water butt in his garden on the way in and asked where he had got it from, this guy said he had had got it from his work.

My dad explained that i had an allotment and was in need of some of these barrels, so the guy took our  phone number and said he would call if any more came up.

No phone call, he got the house number somehow (bit creepy) and just turned up tonight with 2 of them.

He didn't want anything for them but i gave him a fiver.

How cool, if i had have gone to yorkshire water it would have cost me £70, good old dad, will have to spend another fiver for some beers for him.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 21:06 »
If you do want to buy a water butt, I've found one that looks really good on the Allotment Shop (shameless plug!!) Water Butt
250 litres and it's 31.99, which seems reasonable as the shop prices go. They do a stand as well and an offer of 44.99 if you buy both.

I also see they've got a water butt pump so you can have mains pressure from your rainwater. I'm putting these up on the site tomorrow but they're on the two wests site.

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 21:31 »
councils should offer free water butts to allotmenteers or like me gardeners lol as it is encouraging us to save on there water.... mayb we should write a letter to our councils?? just ignore me 2day in 1 of them moods lol
Like War games then click on the link below - goto forum and ask for me (Black_Stalion)
Ambroid Online Multiplayer War Game

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 08:22 »
We've got mains water on-site and there isn't a shortage in the North West. I think the big problem in the South East is leaky pipes - they lose a third of all water to leaks.
Butts are great if you have something to fill them from like a shed or greenhouse (on the site)

SnowDog

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 04:12 »
IIRC they're around £20 with stand from our council (Milton Keynes) for a 220 litre butt. Much cheaper than from the garden or DIY outlets. But MK council has been fairly "green" for most of its existance.

SnowDog

Gwiz

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 05:59 »
Quote from: "john"
We've got mains water on-site and there isn't a shortage in the North West. I think the big problem in the South East is leaky pipes - they lose a third of all water to leaks.
Butts are great if you have something to fill them from like a shed or greenhouse (on the site)

i think the biggest problem down here is leaky pipes and TOO MANY PEOPLE

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 14:46 »
The reason the water companies aren't good at subsidising water butts is, that they want the water!!  On that nursery we were going to buy, the owner had installed his own reservoir holding 200,000 litres of the water that was collected from his glasshouses roofs, but he said he could have got into trouble, as the water companies say the water is their's not his and he's not paying for it!!

Work that one out.  Surely the water coming out of the sky doesn't belong to anyone, but if it falls on your garden or allotment, then surely its yours???

Gwiz

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 17:17 »
i seem to remember a case where a water company took an elderly lady to court for just this situation about 10 years ago. the water company case hinged on the fact that if the lady didnt collect the rainwater for her own use, it would eventualy end up in a river or underground waterway where they would collect it, refine it, and then sell it to their consumers. i think the old ladys case was that they would not use all the water that fell as rainfall, some of it found its way into the sea "unmolested by a capitalistic concern", also the fact that in ages past, people collected rainwater for their own use, without incurring charges from any authority whatsoever. she won her case i think on the grounds that she was not even using the water company for the dispoal of her waste water because she had a cesspit that she paid a private contractor to empty. in effect she was a self contained unit. i think the judge stated that the water company was being in this case greedy.
i`m pretty sure that ive got the details correct, others may remember more about it. :wink:

xx
Cheap water butts and water butt pumps

Started by ConfusedGardener on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 20:50
by ConfusedGardener
clip
Water butt

Started by mdjlucan on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post June 25, 2021, 12:27
by grinling
xx
Water butt

Started by mdjlucan on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2018, 14:00
by JayG
xx
Tap on Water Butt

Started by domw001 on Equipment Shed

18 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 16:34
by Amilo

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 39 queries.