Pickling Onions

• 11 Replies

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
Pickling Onions
« on: July 24, 2012, 16:18 »
I have just seen a recipe that says to soak the onions in water, add one teaspoon of sugar and leave for 24 hours. Has anyone tried this? I thought you soaked the onions in salt and water. Also, has anyone tried using balsamic vinegar and malt vinegar mixed together?

Kleftiwallah

Re: Pickling Onions
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 17:26 »

I've always soaked my onions in quite a strong brine for twelve hours, taken the skins off then back in the brine for a futher 12 hours.  This draws out some of the moisture.  I cannot see how a smidge of sugar is going to do the same.  Where did you see this recipe?

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 08:11 »
On here yypBKxI4aLY

Dopey113

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 16:00 »
balsamic vinegar pickled onions
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/balsamic_pickled_onions_54363
    (or sugar if you like)

( I dont like cinnamon so I dont put it in)

But mess with the recipe as you like, after all you are eating them so make them to YOUR taste

« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 18:45 by Dopey113 »
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Dopey113

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 16:41 »
I got that from the BBC website (BBC Food) I like it because if you register :blush: you can have a binder so you just click on save to binder and then you can go back to any recipe you have saved to it

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 17:44 »
I got that from the BBC website (BBC Food) I like it because if you register :blush: you can have a binder so you just click on save to binder and then you can go back to any recipe you have saved to it

Please could you edit the post with the recipe in, Dopey, to insert the link to the BBC website - copyright reasons and all that.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Dopey113

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 18:46 »
Dun... sorry I didnt know

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 15:26 »
I've developed this tried and tested recipe over the years, and it's really popular with everyone who tastes them! 

You need to soak the onions for 24-48 hours in a brine made up to the ratio of 4oz salt to a pint of water.  When they're nearing the end of the brining, bring the following ingredients almost to the boil, then turn off the heat and leave until completely cold if you like your onions or shallots crisp, or use it hot if you want them to 'cook' a little after sealing.

Pickling Ingredients per 500g shallots or pickling onions:
200ml Balsamic Vinegar
200ml Red Wine Vinegar
2 Tbsp Dark Muscavado Sugar
1 Tbsp each of Black Peppercorns, Allspice Berries & Juniper Berries
1-2 Tsp Birds Eye Chillies (Dried)
Cinnamon Stick
1 Bayleaf per Jar

Pack the drained and dried onions into sterilised jars and add your hot or cold vinegar: divide the spices between the jars (including one bayleaf and a piece of broken cinnamon stick per jar) and seal.  Leave for at least 4-6 weeks to allow the flavours to develop.

Enjoy (and make sure you get your share, because they don't last for long!!)  ;)

lacewing

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 12:39 »
Is it best to leave onions/shallots to mature before pickling ?. I prepared some today following the above recipe, as it sounds delicious. After putting them in the brine it occured to me that the moisture content might be less in older onions. I harvested them about a month ago.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 20:06 »
Not sure about this, Lacewing, as I've never used any that are more than a season old.  However, I really don't think it will matter that much - the idea is to draw out as much water as possible, so once the salt has done it's job that's it.  I don't think it's an exact science - far better to leave them in longer than required than the other way, because leaving water in the onions could lead to a watered-down pickling solution and therefore a much shorter shelf life (not to mention soggy onions!!).  Best of luck  :)

lacewing

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 20:23 »
Thank you Cheshirecheese. I may give then a bit longer in the beine as I like a nice crisp pickled onion. Looking forward to the end result! :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 23:01 »
I might have a go at that recipe cos I've got a really nice batch of silverskin just about ready to lift. Can you do it right after the onions are lifted, with no drying out at all, or is that just asking for trouble?

xx
Pickling Onions

Started by DeepDigger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 20, 2007, 09:27
by Sadgit
clip
Pickling onions.

Started by Pescador on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 23, 2017, 13:55
by Pescador
xx
Pickling onions

Started by The Golden Heap on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post August 02, 2013, 23:12
by Armleywhite
xx
Pickling onions

Started by Neil Doncaster on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 13:00
by A Reyt Tayty

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 39 queries.