Dahlias.....

• 3 Replies

jonewer

• Experienced Member
Dahlias.....
« on: October 30, 2011, 07:35 »
Some questions about dahlias, I have never grown them before so am a bit confused.

Firstly, is it necessary to dig out the tubers or can I leave them in the soil (pots) over winter?

Also, I had two pots with dahlias in them, grown from tuber. The one pot flower reasonably well but the other pot didnt flower at all; though it did make flower buds, they never opened.

The pots are right next to each other so I dont know what else could have been different.... Any tips on how to improve the flowering of dahlias would be appreciated!

Thanks!

brown thumb

Re: Dahlias.....
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 08:49 »
yea i had the same thing happen to mine one never buded up i throught it might have needed to bulk up a little being cheapos from £1 shop i also was planning to ask can i cut them back now before getting frosted and put pots and all the shed and wrap them up in paper sorry for hi jacking your post
 :blush:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 09:28 »
If you like the dahlias a lot it is worth digging them up after the foliage has been cut back by tthe first frost, and trimming the stalks down to about three or four inches.

Then dry them upside down (so juice drains out of the stems and they don;t rot)

I keep my tubers in paper bags or in old dry potting compost then, in the garage -- any frost free palce will do-- until the spring.

Keeping them in the pots and dry would do, but if you have any vine weevil grubs in there, they'll munch away at yout tubers  :unsure: :tongue2:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 16:53 »
I grew my dahlias from seed, and they were doing great guns flowering all through the summer - I planted them in the ground, not pots :tongue2:.  They were flowering well into October before I cut them back, dug out the tubers and they are now asleep in a dark corner of the shed :dry:
Babs

xx
Dahlias

Started by andy dewar on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post April 28, 2014, 18:54
by jaydig
xx
Dahlias

Started by Longshanks on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2020, 19:47
by rowlandwells
xx
Dahlias

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 13:31
by Paul Plots
xx
Dahlias

Started by Casey76 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 18:16
by Yabba

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 39 queries.