new plot in June

• 9 Replies

reeterry

new plot in June
« on: June 15, 2011, 16:59 »
Hi all,

Glad to find this site as think I may need quite alot of help!
After 21/2 years on the wiaitng list I finally have my plot, picked up kjeys at the beginning of this week. Its a lvoely plot on a site with only 6 plots backing onto playing fields which is great. And I've been lucky enough to get one at the top end which means full sun all day.

The challange is its been let go to weeds since last year which means I am staring at an incredible amount of dock and nettle and thistle. I've started digging and pulling but have to admit its backbreaking and heart breaking work. I'm diggging out roots and then laying black plastic over it but have hit the point that I'm not sure i can take it!

Whats the advice on using roundup or similar to clear off the Dock? I reckon there's a good half plot that I won't be able to get used til next spring but I was hoping to grow green manure on it over the winter IF I can get it clear of weeds.

My other question is what can I get in now? I was thinking of getting some late sowings of quick crop salads, lettuce, carrots, etc. I started off some peas at home so they can go in too. I wondered about planting potatoes simply as a ground clearing crop - and any tubers a bonus.

Then getting young plants in for autumn and winter over the next month or two.

I want to have a fruit area - should I wait til autumn to plant in goosegog bushes & raspberry canes or can I do that now?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: new plot in June
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 17:59 »
Welcome to the site reeterry and congrats on your new lotty :D

First piece of advice, is to take photos of your progress.  It's very easy to forget what you've achieved.

Then, don't try to do too much at a time.  It's a good idea to try to get stuff in so you have something pleasurable to focus on as well as the hard work  :ohmy:

If you click the Growing Help link underneath the top banner, you'll find a number of articles including how to clear a plot.  This will give you some general guidance.

As for using glyphosate (the active ingredient in roundup), it's entirely up to you.  You will need to spray it on a windless day to ensure no drift onto others' plants or plots, and ensure it doesn't rain for at least 6 hours after spraying.

It works on actively growing plants so should be OK on your weeds.  Some may need a repeat application.  You may still have to dig out some roots but it will definitely give you a chance of getting on top of the plot before it gets on top of you. 

Once the weeds are cleared then continue to cover up behind you if you're not growing in that area, as the weeds will regrow.

This chart will give you some idea about what you can start off now:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php

Everything you've mentioned would be OK.  Not sure about spuds though, because they might attract late season blight and potentially leave diseased material around for next season.  If you use first early varieties you should get away with it - if you can find seed tubers.  Don't just use ones from the supermarket.

Personally I'd leave the fruit until the autumn.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 18:01 »
Gooseberries & raspberries - best in the autumn.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 21:06 »
First piece of advice, is to take photos of your progress.  It's very easy to forget what you've achieved.

Then, don't try to do too much at a time.  It's a good idea to try to get stuff in so you have something pleasurable to focus on as well as the hard work  :ohmy:

Here here to both pieces of advise! I love looking back at my photos, changing from a patch of weeds and trees and broken glass to a lovely, productive little peice of heaven.

I used Glyphosphate in little bits, sprayed a bit, cleared it and moved on to the next. Make sure you dig out the roots after everything has died back - even though they are dead I still don't trust them not to spring back to life whilst my back is turned!

There is quite a bit you can still grow even though we are already in June - it will give you a taste of what you can expect next year!

slowly but surely you'll get there - enjoy it.  ;)
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

digalotty

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 21:36 »
do half a plot and see how you get on,  if you are coping well and want to start more ground then carry on but if you find that half a plot is enough for you to manage then you can always give half back.
i find my half plot keeps me busy enough and with my job i would not want to take any more on  :)
so work what you can manage ,  use roundup on a quarter and try and get that productive then start working on another quarter ,   if you want to keep the full plot cover areas to kill off weeds before digging ,  when you plant up plant through black weed membrane where you can to keep weeds at bay while your produce is growing :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 21:39 »
If you're using Glyphosate (I did), then make sure you leave it to work for a good fortnight/three weeks to ensure that it goes right down to the roots and kills them there. Don't be tempted to cut the weeds down before that, or they'll just regrow from the roots.

Regarding planting up a crop now - it might be worth chatting to your new fellow-plot-holders - often people have spare seedlings that they'd happily give away (we all get a bit carried away at seed sowing time!!) or, if you're feeling flush, try a garden centre. Otherwise any quick-growing crop would work. Some folks don't even sow their beans and squash plants directly outdoors till now (not sure what part of the country you're in?). Kohl rabi and turnips are another couple of quick-growers that you might squeeze in, if you're looking for some brassicas.

Good luck!

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:48 »
As all advise above but i'd cut the all the weeds first them apply the glyphoate when they start to regrow.
They area you have already cleared will also produce a lot of weeds from the seeds that have been dorment in the soil.
As Kajazy said, spend time talking to the other plot holders, listen to all advise but then do it your way.
You will get there, a little often, is better than trying to do it all at once.
Take time to sit down and enjoy what you have already achieved.

reeterry

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 10:16 »
Thanks all,

I'm pretty far north so I guess there's still plenty of things that could go in now. Unfortuantly I can't just do half a plot - our local council doesn't allow that. I have to get it clear by the winter or it goes to the next person on the list!!!

Roundup on the dock and carpet/ black plastic on the rest asap I guess

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 10:39 »
I'd just spray round up on the whole plot where you have not planted anything, well I'd get glysophate as it's lots cheaper, just not branded the same.

Then, if you are not going to get around to do anything with it, once the roundup has taken hold cover it with loads of manure, then put some weed control fabric over the top.
If you want it to look pretty you can throw some bark chippings over the top.

I wouldn't use carpet as chemicals can leach out, and I don't like black plastic either as it prevents any moisture getting through.

I left half of my plot for a whole year like that and it's now the best bit of the plot as the worms dug the manure in for me and all the weeds died off.

jimthejimjim

• Leyland Mini Club
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 10:44 »
Just take your time and work small patches at once.
Don't set yourself large unacheivable goals.

Theres nothing worse than having to go home from the plot and not achieving what you planned to do in that visit.
Please be patient! Learner gardener - allow plenty of room when passing!

xx
Restarting a plot in June

Started by Broccolihead on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 01, 2016, 21:30
by steved
xx
The June drop is a June avalanche...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 16, 2018, 20:08
by Growster...
xx
June '08

Started by The Thin Blue Line on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 18:37
by johnathome
clip
Frost in June

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 20, 2015, 07:41
by New shoot

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 37 queries.