Frost in June

• 11 Replies

simonwatson

Frost in June
« on: June 16, 2015, 23:27 »
I was at the plot on Sunday evening planting French beans, courgettes and pumpkins. Did I think to check the forecast, no. I went to the plot this afternoon to find this lot waiting for me.

I had no idea what it was to start with as the idea of frost didn't even occur. Then I looked around and saw everybody's potatoes looked like this. I hope the replacement pumpkins will be ready in time for Halloween. sowing them tomorrow as soon as I've got some more.

20150616_173549 (Medium).jpg
20150616_173523 (Medium).jpg
20150616_173520 (Medium).jpg

solway cropper

Re: Frost in June
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 23:45 »
A frost in June is unusual, even here 'up north' but that's why it's good to have a plan B. And when plan B fails there's always the supermarket :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 07:41 »
Hopefully your potatoes will grow through this check and be OK.  Real shame about your beans, courgettes and pumpkins though.

Pumpkins do grow fast, so I reckon if we have a decent autumn, you should manage to get a crop.  There may not be time for monster pumpkins to grow, but its worth a go for the smaller types  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 08:06 »
Oh dear, that is unlucky - we did have a June ground frost here a few years ago, although I think it was about a week earlier.

Frost pockets are usually thought of as being low lying areas at the base of hills where cold air descends on clear, still nights and can't escape, but mini frost pockets can also occur in less obviously at-risk locations where a fence or hedge provides the 'wrong' sort of shelter by trapping cold air.

Around +4-5C (or less) is usually considered to be the forecast air temperature which can result in a ground frost on clear, still nights in vulnerable areas.

Looks like at least some of the beans will pull through - not too late to sow some more next to those you think won't survive.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

simonwatson

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 08:52 »
Thanks for the empathy, just what I needed  :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 09:25 »
Phew!  Thank goodness our site didn't seem to be affected. That is devastating for you, even here you don't expect frost so late. :(
Anne

simonwatson

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 11:14 »
Definitely a very local event. I only live half a mile from the site and none of my plants in the garden were affected.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 11:22 »
I have read that creating a gap in a hedge or fence to let the cold air escape can tip the balance enough to avoid a frost when conditions are very marginal - wouldn't work if your plot is already at the lowest point though, as the cold air would have nowhere to escape to (wouldn't work if you have no nearby hedges or fences either!   ::))

simonwatson

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 11:35 »
My site is on the side of a shallow hill, but the lowest point is actually within the site. There's a large gap in the hedge at the lowest edge for the access gate, but it's easy to visualise a large pool of very cold air, that would have nowhere to escape, sitting over a large swathe of the site. It's a good idea though.

It's just one of the those things. Very still clear night with a lower than normal ambient air temperature. Ho hum.

Christine

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 08:03 »
Yep we had a touch just up the road from you and I have one courgette which may or may not recover. Thing is - the two next to it were untouched. Have some sulking runner beans as a result and have sown some on the window sill at home to replace.

Not too late to start beans off again in a warm place if you are quick about it mind.

simonwatson

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 08:51 »
I've re-sown bean, pumpkins and courgettes. I'll bring them on a bit in the greenhouse before hardening off and planting out in July. They'll be later than planned but there's still all of summer left.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 07:41 »
That's the spirit  :D  Lets face it, with our weather, you just have to square your jaw at it and carry on regardless  :lol:

I've got a couple of seedling courgettes and summer crookneck squashes still lurking about.  They were late sown as gap fillers and will be going out in a week or so.  They grow so fast, I reckon we will both be still on to get a crop  :)

Last year I lost all my french beans to slugs at the end of May and had to resow the lot.  Again, they grow so fast they caught up.  The crop was a bit later than usual, but we had plenty.  I sowed a few more the other day as gap fillers.

Like you say - all summer yet  ;)

xx
The June drop is a June avalanche...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 16, 2018, 20:08
by Growster...
xx
June '08

Started by The Thin Blue Line on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 18:37
by johnathome
xx
what to sow in may, june, july

Started by gorymorph on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 16:52
by Kristen
xx
June Forecast

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 04:15
by maxibo

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 34 queries.