Thinning show shallots

• 29 Replies

Salmo

Re: Thinning show shallots
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 22:44 »
Replant the thinnings in a shady corner and they'll make decent picklers.

Never tried lifting the whole clump before. They go out of shape when you leave them in the ground too long and secondary growth starts. From early June keep an eye on the growing point. If no new shoots are visible get them up.

I looked at my shallots today and most of them have no leaves less than about 4 inches long. They are a good size but very green. I am reluctant to lift now especially with the damp weather. My worry is that they will get neck rot and spoil. My inclination is to leave them at least until we get a hot day or two. Should I lift now or wait?

Totty

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 22:14 »
Not really sure what to do with mine either. They are a very good size, but i worry that they could get too big??? Just looking by eye, of the 19 plants that were thinned to threes, there are at least 35 that look of a very similar shape and size. The variety is Aristocrat, have never grown before so have no idea about the size really.

Totty

Salmo

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 00:04 »
What we need is our mentor Carrotfaggot to guide us.

I gave mine a wriggle today and they are quite loose in the soil and some came away easily. I think in a normal 'flaming June' with dry soil I would think they were ready. I will continue to wriggle them until they are all loose but leave them in situ for a few days until the tops at least start to wilt. Right or wrong? I will no doubt find out in due time.

Totty

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 21:09 »
Had a look on Medwyns of Anglesea and he seems to say that as soon as the plants stop throwing shoots its time to get them up. Will they still store well and be able to be used for next years seed if they are lifted when the leaves are still green?

Totty

Salmo

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 01:00 »
I gave any that were loose a good tug today which broke all the roots. I have left them in situ to dry in the sun. Ha! Ha! After a few days I plan to move them on to chicken wire so that they are off the ground and the air can get under them. I think the important thing is to allow the tops to dry naturally and not cut them off too soon. If the weather does not perk up soon my labrador will soon be sharing his kennel run with shallots.

carrotfaggot

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 10:08 »
As soon as you notice no new shoots coming from the centre get them up. You are right to leave the tops and roots on for now as they will help to swell the bulbs by a few millimetres and any flat bits will round up during ripening. Try and keep them indoors with some white polystyrene or similar over them to stop them scorching. If you leave them outside and the temperatures plummet (as they are forecast to do) then they develop a purple tinge which is a fungus. Although harmless it is seen as a fault.

Salmo

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 10:27 »
Thanks carrotfaggot. Interesting about the fungus. Mine are Hative de niort and they already have a purple tinge. Not surprising is it really.

carrotfaggot

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 11:03 »
Don't worry about that....some of mine are bright purple (see photo) but that's on the loose outer skins which will be rubbed off. The inner skins which will be the ones that are shown will be nutty brown in colour.

These are all about 2" diameter.
photo (3).JPG
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 14:19 by carrotfaggot »

Totty

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 22:11 »
Have just pulled them all.Around 80 per cent of them are more or less the same size and just and just under 2 inches across. I am happy with the size seeing as though i have never grown these before, and would rather have them slightly smaller without going double than the opposite. Will post some pics when drying out.

Totty

carrotfaggot

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 10:11 »
If in doubt it's best to get them up before they start going double. I always say it's best to have smaller bulbs that show 'good form' rather than humungous ones that are all shapes.

Salmo

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 13:14 »
All going nicely until I started pulling a few loose skins off. Blue mould under the skins at the base. I presume this is because of the highly humid weather. How could I prevent this and how can I stop it getting worse besides a quick pickling session.

Shallots rs.jpg
Shallots rs2.jpg

carrotfaggot

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 09:09 »
Don't think it's botrytis and may be on the surface only....looks like it was caused by moisture trapped between skins...... It could disappear as they dry out so segregate them from any sound ones and keep an eye on them. I use fungicides which I shan't name on here as they're not available to the general public i'm afraid.

Totty

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 22:44 »
Ok so lesson learned. Alot of my sound looking shallots had gone double, i still have a afew decent ones but the bigger ones all went double. Is it ok to store these and replant them Christmas time as you normally would?

carrotfaggot

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 10:04 »
Most of mine went double too. Probably down to this car crash of a season weatherwise. I think I will get mine up first week of June from now on rather than wait to get them bigger. Did this last season and although they were smaller none went double.

It's ok to replant double bulbs in January.

Totty

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2012, 21:43 »
Those were my thoughts too. Cheers

xx
Best shallots for show

Started by Salmo on The Show Bench

1 Replies
Last post September 14, 2013, 20:50
by Totty
xx
What should I show on?

Started by gardenreg on The Show Bench

8 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 19:24
by gardenreg
clip
First Show

Started by Mr Dog on The Show Bench

8 Replies
Last post October 27, 2019, 12:56
by Pauly1958
xx
My first show!!

Started by Cheshire Phill on The Show Bench

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 17:04
by muckyboots

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 39 queries.