Student food...

• 12 Replies

Growster...

Student food...
« on: July 29, 2018, 10:06 »
Mrs Growster and I were discussing what we used to do for feeding soon after we left school - and home!

Top of the list was a Vesta curry, the packet variety, and a close second was one of those curries in tins where one end of the tin had all the meaty/sloppy stuff, and the other end contained the rice. All you did was boil the whole lot and risk third degree burns when opening both ends up...

Recollections please...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Student food...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 10:34 »
Wouldn't touch'em with a bargepole now - but those Vesta curries and Chinese meals were the bees knees back then  :lol:
I also remember steak & kiddley pies in a tin, with permanently soggy pastry, tinned 'garden peas' that were nothing like fresh garden peas and tinned potatoes  :lol:  ::)

Oooh just remembered crispy pancakes, and Angel Delight used to love those as well...

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 10:44 »
Wouldn't touch'em with a bargepole now - but those Vesta curries and Chinese meals were the bees knees back then  :lol:
I also remember steak & kiddley pies in a tin, with permanently soggy pastry, tinned 'garden peas' that were nothing like fresh garden peas and tinned potatoes  :lol:  ::)

Oooh just remembered crispy pancakes, and Angel Delight used to love those as well...

Found a tub of butterscotch Angel Delight in Home Bargains a couple of months back !
I still like it ! :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 10:54 »
Found a tub of butterscotch Angel Delight in Home Bargains a couple of months back !

In tubs now? Used to be powdered stuff in packets  :nowink:

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 11:00 »

Tesco have their own butterscotch version in a packet, and Mrs Growster stockpiles them every time we go to the larger store in Hastings!

I'm sure Crooksfoot store would have them Mum!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 11:11 »
Vesta Curries - they were the business.  Angel Delight, Delicious.  Pot Noodles for my children at lunch time.
Still got a Fray Bentos Meat Pie in a flat tin!  White Jam Sandwich - Condensed Milk spread on bread.
Jam sandwich - Piece of bread and jam it in the door  :D  Broken Biscuits. Scrumping anything.  Happy Days  :)and we never got fat, because we were always out playing, climbing, chasing etc. Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 12:38 »
As a student I lived at home, and Vesta curries? Now you're talking! For some reason whenever I was recovering from an illness, I had to have a beef one - dunno why - but my mum had to race to the corner shop and get it to me a.s.a.p.! I liked their paella too but in later years it didn't taste the same. When I left home and was later on my own in the mid-seventies, I didn't have a clue about cooking but had a little book called "Cooking for two" which became my bible (until I lent it to someone and never got it back) but it had some great simple recipes. What you could do with some minced beef or a piece of chicken was a wonder. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 14:45 »
My mum advised me to buy a tin of Scotch Broth, half a pound of mince, and keep it on the stove/heat up each day I was away! (I went home at weekends for laundry,rugby/cricket etc - latterly Mrs (then Miss ) Growster..;0)

Salmonella hadn't been invented back then!

I even heated up a Walls pork pie once, and lived to tell the ta

mrs bouquet

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 16:53 »
[quote author=Growster... link=topic=128427.msg1500192#msg1500192 date=1532871939

I even heated up a Walls pork pie once, and lived to tell the tale

I still do !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: 

I shall have to look for some Butterscotch Angel Delight now  ;)  Mrs Bouquet 

hamstergbert

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 17:15 »
In the youthful hamster days of stretching a very small income to include nourishment as well as beer intake, lived on Wimpy Bar lunchtime tomato soup - cheap and you got a little packet of crackers to go with it.  Many of the office workers who went in there would leave all or some of their crackers so was able to minesweep those and fill up on the crackers moistened with tomato soup that became tangier and tangier due to stretching it out through continually topping it up from those red plastic tomato shaped bottles of ketchup.   Suppose not terribly healthy but certainly very filling for a very small outlay.

Spent some of the summer vacations working as a waiter in Scarborough which gave easy access to lots of food, and towards the end of each summer a two week festival of staff room gluttony in some ridiculous attempt to stockpile body mass to help cover the lean kine that loomed..... and back to the Wimpy bar soups......

Then joined the RN instead and found myself in this amazing paradise of three squares a day!

IN later years, some strange food substitute called 'beanfeast' or the like with some mashed potato of dubious provenance would produce a dish that was almost but not entirely unlike cottage pie....  All the other rubbish we all fed our children on, though, I cringe at the memory.  After all those crispy pancakes, angel delights etc I suspect their bodies must still contain so many e numbers they are fairly pickled physically.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 17:45 »
When I was in a flat with several other reprobates in the sixties, Thursday was pub night. Six pints of bitter for under a pound was the norm, plus numerous fags.

To organise the stomach beforehand, nothing was better than a large tin of Heinz macaroni cheese (2/- or ten pence), and this worked wonders! I still like it, but Mrs Growster makes a great version - had some today asamattererfack...

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 22:26 »

Still powder but the tubs are equal to 4-5 pkts !

LILLILEAF

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 08:51 »
What a great thread,i would buy a pack of richmond sausages 8 in a pack would last 3 meals,would not touch them now.
I found a tub of butterstotch angel delight the other day 12 servings 99p,we used to have it with dream topping.
Mother would buy a chicken once a year they cost £7.00ea such a treat,favourite meal has to still be roast chicken.
My boss would supply my dinner mid day half a baked potato,that would have to do me on a 12 hour day working with horses,riding,cleaning tack,mucking out,grooming etc,i was as thin as a stick :lol:those were the days.
Another treat chocolate digestives i was only aloud 3 biscuits per day and to this day i only ever eat 3 in a day :(

wink
Newbie & horticulture student -plots near Beckenham or Kent ?

Started by janjackklos on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2023, 08:57
by snowdrops
clip
My food is looking at me!

Started by DanielCoffey on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post April 06, 2020, 14:03
by DanielCoffey
xx
food packaging

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post May 21, 2020, 14:38
by Growster...
xx
Plant Food !!

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2018, 19:18
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 40 queries.