Countdown to chooks!

• 5 Replies

Flowerpower136

Countdown to chooks!
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:33 »
Been slaving away on the new chicken palace, nearly finished, but have had to slow down after developing tennis elbow from all the sawing, mesh cutting, digging and hammering.  :wacko:  I'm sure we've all been there!
Anyway, will keep taking the tabs, and with some help, hoping it should all be done this week.
So, thoughts have now turned to sourcing the girls. Run is a tad over 16m2 with a raised coop 1.4m2.  Was thinking 6 hens would be OK and had been hoping for ex batts. Unfortunately won't be available to collect on the next rehoming date in this area, so rather than wait another 6-8 weeks thought I'd try some brand new ones instead. And maybe some different breeds.
I've only ever had ex batts so this is a leap into the dark for me.
Any suggestions?
Something nice and hardy and long lived, cos I can't cope with too many funerals, and a mix would be nice.  And must be friendly because I'll be spending a lot of time sitting in the run with them. :D

snow white

Re: Countdown to chooks!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:58 »
If you are just after eggs for yourself then 3 hens is a good number.  Most hybrid hens lay 6 out of 7 days so you would be getting 18 eggs a week!  6 hens would give you twice that!  I only have three laying hens and I find I have plenty of eggs year round.  Any of the hybrids make good layers.  Saying that I have purebred hens. My most robust hen is a Wellsummer.  She is four  now and still lays four eggs a week.  My arucana is forever getting her "hat" wet and then muddy so I can't recommend that breed, although she lays the most beautiful blue eggs.  My Light Suffolk lays practically every day but being white gets dirty  very quickly.  My most beautiful hen is a Vorwerk but she no longer lays but when she did they were pure white and about four a week.  Just get the hens that you think are beautiful.  Hybrids are friendlier, and the commercial layers extremely friendly.  Purebreds can be a bit standoffish.  My Arucana is very friendly and follows me about.  The light sussex is very wary as is the Vorwerk.  The Wellsummer is easy to handle but wary.  If I had to buy more hens then I would get more Wellsummers.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 12:44 »
My bluebell and maran are fab, BIL has an aracauna and leghorn.

Pekins are friendly

Any pics of the run

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 12:51 »
Thanks for suggestions, I'm going to read up so will know what To look out for.  Very excited!
Watch this space for pics. Aim to have it all finished by end of the week.

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 15:43 »
Thanks for suggestions, I'm going to read up so will know what To look out for.  Very excited!
Watch this space for pics. Aim to have it all finished by end of the week.

Have a look at the Omlet website (www.omlet.co.uk). They have all of the breeds listed together with reviews from owners. It gives you a goodoverview of what breeds are the friendliest

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 20:26 »

I bought some hens at a market some years ago - disaster!  Healthy a and beautiful hens but had never been near a human and were terrified!  Got 8 week old chicks and watched 'em grow after that.

"I'll be spending a lot of time sitting in the run with them. :D"

I love people who love their hens and don't treat them like little egg machines. xxxx
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

xx
The Official Countdown has started..

Started by NormandyMary on Chicken Chat

23 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 20:47
by NormandyMary
wireless
hot chooks

Started by SamT on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 15:23
by SamT
xx
Our chooks have . . . . .

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post October 20, 2010, 12:13
by Knight Family
clip
New chooks

Started by carl on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 21:11
by grinling

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 38 queries.