Green manures

• 9 Replies

mikegm

Green manures
« on: May 25, 2014, 11:28 »
I presently have some space on the lotty and would like to grow some green manure. What would be recommended for this time of year?

Lardman

Re: Green manures
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 11:39 »
This is worth a read PDF on green manure. It really depending on how long the space is going to be empty , what type of soil you have and how much you like digging  :nowink: I thought about putting some fenugreek yesterday.

RaptorUK

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 11:47 »
This is worth a read PDF on green manure.

Wonder why they don't mention Winter Field Beans at all  :unsure:

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 12:47 »
For short term to be dug in by the Autumn or before phacelia is probably the easiest to manage and the flowers are a bee magnet.. Mustard is fine but remember it is a brassica.

If you are talking longer term, to be left until next Spring before digging, then clover is a good choice. Crimson clover is probably best but red is also good.

andy dewar

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 14:44 »
I use celiante mustard from tozer seeds works really well just remember to cut before it sets flower then dig it in :)

beesrus

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 15:56 »
I personally use quick green manures alongside cow manure. My favourite is a legume, Winter tares. It doesn't have the brassica stigma, behaves itself, is easy to cut and dig in, and supplies plenty of matter and plenty of nitrogen if planted at the right time. I will be planting up again late Summer to help next year's brassicas. Last year's Tares has done wonders so far for my cabbages.
What I would say is tread carefully with the rye grasses. They can get awfully big and very hard to dig in. Might almost feel like you're back to square one on a new plot.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 16:08 »
For short term to be dug in by the Autumn or before phacelia is probably the easiest to manage and the flowers are a bee magnet

I sow it and leave it to die back in the winter, no Autumn digging in required - but the roots really do leave the soil more friable ready for Spring.

mrsbean

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 17:25 »
just been to buy green manure, i bought phacelia. cant plant whole plot this year due to ill health. as not planted spuds this year will have lots of spare plot. like the idea as been mentioned about letting it die back.

Becky-Lou

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 08:53 »
I grew fenugreek as a green manure last year-it's supposed to be nitrogen fixing, though according to the RHS website it is not great for that in our climate.  However, I love making my own curry, so it was very useful as a crop (you can use the seeds and leaved for cooking).  It died down and rotted over the winter, leaving my silty allotment soil considerably better, and itseems to be quite shallow rooted, so I don't think it would be difficult to dig in if you needed to get rid of it sooner.

Headgardener22

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 10:52 »
Why not grow something like peas, they will improve the soil and might give you a crop at the same time. I tend to use broad beans, peas and french beans as crops to cover the soil especially at this time whilst there's still time for them to gro and crop. You can still dig them in if you don't want the crop.

xx
green manures

Started by Chiswickian on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 19:57
by Trikidiki
xx
Green manures?

Started by fishwife on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 22, 2006, 21:13
by milkman
xx
Green Manures

Started by NellyCB on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 00:45
by Salmo
xx
Green manures

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 14:29
by woodburner

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 36 queries.