What's happened to our toms this year?

• 9 Replies

wendycas

« on: August 11, 2014, 18:46 »
Hi
This year we have tried to grow a few varieties of toms in pots in the greenhouse. They all have grown initially then just stopped. We have a few toms on them but the plants themselves are weedy. We planted them in MP compost but fed with seaweed extract feed once a week. Watering has been consistent. Any ideas why we've bombed out this year???
Thanks
Wendy  :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What's happened to our toms this year?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 19:03 »
The MPC will have run out of feed after a few weeks  :(
It depends which seaweed mix you've been feeding them with - some contain feed as well, some are only a plant pick-me-up.

Look at the labels does it show NPK ratios?

Headgardener22

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 21:28 »
Have the pots been in strong sunlight? This year I've had problems because the temperature in my polytunnel has got too high and the flowers haven't set. Now the temperatures have fallen a bit, my plants are beginning to set fruit again.

wendycas

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:44 »
Hi
It's the Maxicrop Seaweed Extract Plant Growth Stimulant-I'll have to check the label when I go over to the allotment. Yes, the pots have been in strong sunlight and the temps have been very high in the greenhouse sometimes 100 degrees-with the door and window open.

We also put the outdoor girl variety outside and they are doing better but not magnificently! So do you think it's the greenhouse or the compost or something else??
Thx
Wendy

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 10:23 »
That maxicrop has no plant food in the mix....

This maxicrop does, look for the NPK levels on the container if you want to feed things ;)
http://www.lbsbuyersguide.co.uk/maxicrop-seaweed-extract-plus-tomato-fertiliser.html

georget

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 14:26 »
I feed comfrey tea once a week and while theres a heavy crop the plants themselves are turning yellow and look like they are dying and the bigger tomatoes are very slow to ripen.I am wondering has it been too hot or the sun has been too strong and burnt them :unsure:

Debz

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 15:18 »
Mine are rubbish this year too.  They've not grown particularly tall and I am only now starting to get fruits from them.  I have grown them with the same level of care as always in the same growing medium and same place so I can only assume the hot weather has been too hot for them.  There's always next year to try again.

snow white

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 20:16 »
Mine have gone crazy.  They love this heat.  Strong tall plants.  Gave a general fertiliser in spring and tomorite once a week now they are fruiting. 

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 09:43 »
This is my first year with an allotment, so decided to try a few extra tomatoes this year (I have a greenhouse at home too and have always grown toms.

Results so far  .. by variety

Alicante ... pretty good crop   (Yep, a definite for 2015)  :D :D :D

Craigella ... good crop  (Yep, a definite for 2015)  :D :D :D :D

Indigo Rose   ... not one ripe fruit yet .. black on top and green below.  (No chance in 2015 ... sorry !)  >:( >:(

Black Cherry .. very tasty and good crop.   (Yep, a definite for 2015)  :D :D :D :D :D

Sungold ... tomatoes taste nice but the size is far too small  (No chance in 2015 ... sorry !)  >:(

Marmande .. Not a big crop, but great for tomato on toast  (Yep, a definite for 2015)  :D :D :D

Sweet Million .. decent crop of small fruit  (Yep, a definite for 2015)  :D :D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 16:12 by wbmkk »

Headgardener22

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 19:29 »

We also put the outdoor girl variety outside and they are doing better but not magnificently! So do you think it's the greenhouse or the compost or something else??
Thx
Wendy

Do you have aborted flowers? If so I would say its the temperature in the greenhouse.

xx
Toms very slow to ripen this year

Started by Aidy on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post July 29, 2018, 17:54
by Growster...
xx
What happened to the whitefly

Started by Springlands on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post October 08, 2014, 19:01
by snowdrops
xx
toms

Started by alancas on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 12:43
by alancas
xx
Around the bottom of your toms.

Started by Lardman on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 22:54
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 40 queries.