Onion sets

• 27 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Onion sets
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 14:14 »
Had a fantastic crop last year, sets AND plants.

I think it's because I did regularly water! :D

I'd agree with that.  Mine last year from sets started well, but then the dry spell hit and I struggled to water everything on the plot.  The onions got sacrificed and left to their own devices and were very small.  They ended up as pickled onions.

I'm doing seed this year and they are germinating nicely on the windowsill in the spare room.  Why not have another go Purplebean.  Will cost next to nothing for a few seeds and then if you feel you don't have enough, you could top up with sets.  The secret is to start early with seed according to those in the know (who could I mean DD  ::)).  If I can do it, so can you.  I've been useless with onions from seed in the past, but I'm also an eternal optimist :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 14:25 »
My onions from seed were doing really well, and fattening nicely - until the onion white rot got'em  :( So I'd agree growing from seed does work if started early enough, because they grow so slowly in the first place you think nothing will come of them. Patience and a liquid feed whilst they are still in the modules worked a treat for mine ;)

This year I'm trying overwintering sets on a different part of the plot, but I've got a nasty feeling about the white rot, and might have to give up on onions  >:(

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 15:20 »
I was really pleased with my onion crop from seed last year, and I didn't do them all that early. I sowed mid Feb, planted out mid April and lifted in August, and I had some lovely big onions with very few losses. Much better crop than I ever had from sets. Flushed with my success last year, I'm planning to do twice as many this year :)

gobs

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 16:54 »
I do find them easy from seed, too. I usually sow in Feb, too. I'm doing it earlier this year mostly because itching to sow. :lol:

The interesting thing is, concerning the watering issue, I don't think I have ever watered onions. (Except for the seedlings, of course.)

I never grow large varieties.

"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

purplebean

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 21:25 »
I think I planted them straight into the garden in March, they grew nice green leaves that got to about 6 inches and then they sat and laughed at me for the rest of the season. Bulbs did not get any bigger at all and although they had roots I wouldn't call it an extensive root system

gobs

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 22:00 »
I think I planted them straight into the garden in March, they grew nice green leaves that got to about 6 inches and then they sat and laughed at me for the rest of the season. Bulbs did not get any bigger at all and although they had roots I wouldn't call it an extensive root system

Sorry, Purplebean, I do not mean to be rude at all, far from it, just factual. You have no clue, what you did to them and how you sowed them. That's what it sounds like.

My suggestion: Write us a daily report in the spring, if wanting an answer to your problem.

Alternatively/paralelly follow guides on what needs doing, when. Good luck. :)

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 22:42 »
I'm an onion novice (only 3rd year of trying)  but, another thought, by any chance were they growing beside peas and beans? 

We planted ours in different spots last spring, and the ones in front of the beans and peas (but not shaded from sun)  sound like yours (only remembered later not to plant these beside one another - beans and peas were fine though - onions just sat and sulked).   The ones between the carrots (raised bed with compost and leaf mould)  got shaded out, grew, but weak.   The others in their own space, fresh air and sun, and away from the beans / peas grew really well (same clay as those beside the beans and peas).

All the same sets, different results.  Ours were also planted later - mid April.  This year, they will get their own space

live and learn as always  ::)

Ps - did I say sun ?? Should have said same summer rain ! With some sun .... !
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 22:55 by shoozie »

Son of Steptoe

• "Why buy it when you can scrounge it!"
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 08:31 »
I had half a seed tray left of onions sown from seed last January that i didn't manage to plant due to the lack of space but kept them as sets for this year, can anyone advise if they will be ok to plant as sets again or will i be wasting my time as they are'nt heat treated as shop bought ones are? :blink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 08:33 »
They're plants in their second year, they'll probably run straight to seed.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Son of Steptoe

• "Why buy it when you can scrounge it!"
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 18:15 »
OK Thanks DD. ;)

purplebean

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 23:23 »

Sorry, Purplebean, I do not mean to be rude at all, far from it, just factual. You have no clue, what you did to them and how you sowed them. That's what it sounds like.

My suggestion: Write us a daily report in the spring, if wanting an answer to your problem.

No I know I planted them straight into the ground the I think bit was March, I need to dig my diary out to check exactly when it was. I'm not that vague honestly just dodo at writing  :tongue2:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 12:53 »
It was a very strange spring ppurple bean and round here very dry indeed.

It may not have been anything you did/didn't do, just nature and her vagueries  :lol:

Give them a go again this year ans see how they go  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

gobs

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 18:27 »

No I know I planted them straight into the ground the I think bit was March, I need to dig my diary out to check exactly when it was. I'm not that vague honestly just dodo at writing  :tongue2:

We do not need by the day, March will do. And that's early well enough. It is something else then.

Sorry, we need to know more, to be of help. Most likely, you will need to do it with us with photos in the spring, as I mentioned. ;)

xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
xx
where can i buy onion sets

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 19:38
by mashauk
xx
Onion sets

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 14, 2021, 00:25
by Snowboar
xx
onion sets

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 00:16
by Robin Redbreast

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 40 queries.