They are ALL broody wonder if they will be succesful this time!

• 7 Replies

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
My two black silkies went broody a while ago, I left them and left them and nothing happened, then another two went broody! So four broody hens, 2 in each coop!!

There were 10 eggs so I marked and split them up (I threw away the ones that the black ones had been sitting on) some cracked as I threw them and they were still like a runny egg no signs of the yolk changing!

Two of the broodys have been stealing the other girls eggs, but the ones I placed would be marked so im hoping it will be ok!

So 21 days are up this weekend, so my question is:

Are silkie eggs normally go over or under the 21 days
My silkie cockerel is only young around 9 months, could that be the reason for nothing happening??  Each time I have had a broody hen in the coop only 1 egg has hatched or nothing! the best success rate was were one of my hens disappeared and she had found a quiet spot in the garden and only realised shed gone broody when I found 8 chicks wondering round the garden!

Thanks in advance

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
It is always best if the broody has her own nest so that others can't pinch her eggs.  They get cold and sometimes damaged so that could be the problem.  I put mine in a broody coop each so they are not disturbed.

The young cockerel should be fine as my last one managed 5 chicks and he was only 3 1/2 months old.

My Wyandotte bantams eggs hatched from day 19 so fingers crossed for yours. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
Thanks ANHBUC again you come to my rescue!!

WOW 3.5 months that's a boy!!!

I checked them last night and there was a broken shell!! but hubby found a dead chick this morning, but he says more broken shells so fingers crossed!

I have 4 hens in total that are broody, I do have 3 separate coops and 2 runs, may try and move them over today as I need to do something if and when the chicks hatch because of them eating chick crumb etc! 

Think this is going to be a regular occurance so prob best to invest in a broody hutch or some kind!

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
Also if I do move them will 4 broodies be ok together, 3 are silkies and get along, but little hen (like a cream legbar??) doesn't really mix with two of them?? wonder if she will be MORE defensive especially if her are almost due soon!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Very often good broodies can become very protective of their own chicks and can kill any other chicks that come near.
However I did once have 2 broodies hatch eggs in the same coop but the more experienced broody then took control of all the chicks and eventually shooed the other broody hen out.
Ideally they each need their own coops.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

I had 2 broody sisters who had their own broody hutches with run.  When they were allowed in the garden they would fight really badly so I had to let one lot out at a time.  Hubby said they will be fine and sort it out themselves but I am sure they would have fought to the death.  They were super Mums and soooooo defensive.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
Ive just left them as they were, the 2 black silkies (Bob & Marley) have both hatched 3 chicks (one wasn't a silkie though and they pecked it badly and now its gone?? :-( they are staying close in the garden and are cleaning each other which is lovely to see!

Little Hen has also come off the clutch of eggs, she seemed content with the one cream/yellow silkie chick that's following her around!

White silkie Snow (who was sharing with little hen) who was sharing with Little Hen has two black silkies but is still going back into the coop and sitting, there are still 4 eggs that I marked unhatched, 1 egg is really cracked so hopefully as they have been sitting together and sharing the egg sitting duties they may be fine!

How exciting!!! Thanks for your advice, my newt question will be in a few months when im trying to sex them (impossible task!) ANHBUC I assumed you was a man I don't know why!

ANHBUC

Glad they are getting on so well, maybe it depends on the breed.

ANHBUC I assumed you was a man I don't know why!

:lol:  It's OK I often don't know when I am replying to members whether they are male or female.  ;)

xx
My 1st time with a broody, so all new to me

Started by becksi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 00:00
by becksi
exclamation
Broody at this time!!

Started by Oakdalebirds on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post December 29, 2010, 16:02
by jinty1911
question
My first time with a broody hen - what should i do?

Started by crem on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 22:08
by pheobe1
xx
First time Broody ( HELP )

Started by vickyb30 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 22:48
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 39 queries.