Frontline Combo best flea/tick treatment for cats?

• 63 Replies

Goosegirl

Frontline Combo best flea/tick treatment for cats?
« on: August 04, 2013, 11:24 »
One of our four cats started scratching badly and eventually lost most of her backside fur. The vet said it was probably a flea allergy so we re-did them all with Frontline spot-on and again after a month as advised, and gave all the carpets and sofas a good hoovering. It seemed to work and new fur grew, but after two months, she is really scratching again. After another dose of Frontline about ten days ago, she is no better. As we live in an isolated farm land area, I wondered if she had ticks, but Frontline should have controlled that as well. Should we go for Frontline Combo as it treats the house,or is there a better product out there, as I have just read that fleas are becoming immune to the treatment. All treatments were supplied by the vet so aren't more dilute cheap versions.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Auntiemogs

Re: Frontline Combo best flea/tick treatment for cats?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 11:38 »
Hi Goosegirl, yes, fleas are becoming immune to Frontline.

I use Advocate on my kitties.  I works really well, doesn't smell horrible and also treats them for most worms (tou will still need to treat them for tapeworm).

It is quite expensive, but I find that if I get a 6 month vets prescription for one of my cats and buy it online, it is about half the price of buying it from the vets and will treat both of them for the year (I don't like using chemicals on them and they seem less prone to fleas during the cooler months).  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 11:49 »
The Frontline is probably working, but in this weather there are just so many out there to re-infest and they take 24 hrs to die  :(

You can use a spray indoors, but that doesn't really help when they're outside do much.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 12:04 »
Thanks Auntiemogs - quick answer! Just looked it up and good that it also treats roundworm. Didn't know that I can get prescriptions from my vet then buy online. So I need a prescription for 6 months worth for one cat, then buy online at half the price i.e. two for the price of one. I will have to double that for my 4 cats then. Where is the best place online (not just price) to go? My little Daphne tortie is "itching" to find out!!  :lol: ::)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 12:23 »
Oops, sorry Goosegirl, prescription may have been enough for a year for one cat but I'm not really sure tbh... ::) I think my vet charges about £11-12 for a prescription but once you've sent it with the online company, you don't have to but a whole year's worth at once.

I think I may have used VetUK or PetMeds but I'm not sure which.  I usually look for offers first. Worming pills are much cheaper too (not prescription).  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 12:52 »
Again - thanks AM! Next week, I will go to the vets and ask for a prescription for Advocate, then look up the two websites you mentioned. How do you go about buying it online when it is prescription only? Presume you have to download details, but if I have trouble, can I come back to you?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 13:08 »
You order what you want and pay for it and then you can either post, fax or email a copy of the prescription.  Once they receive it, they post your order.  If you haven't ordered in full, you can go back later and fill the rest of the order.

Course you can contact me hun.   :)

It's a shame more people don't know about it.  My parents and I have saved a small fortune over the years by buying online as it is often half the price of buying from the vets.  Some good offers on pusskin food too.  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 13:23 »
You order what you want and pay for it and then you can either post, fax or email a copy of the prescription.  Once they receive it, they post your order.  If you haven't ordered in full, you can go back later and fill the rest of the order.

Course you can contact me hun.   :)

It's a shame more people don't know about it.  My parents and I have saved a small fortune over the years by buying online as it is often half the price of buying from the vets.  Some good offers on pusskin food too.  :)
Thanks yet again. Does the online product contain the same amount of active ingredients; if so, am going for it. As for cat food, have you ever tried Dreamies cat treats? Ours all go bananas after it so only get them as an occasional treat; though 25th December is a big day for them all! :happy: :happy:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 13:51 »
I think it's the same as the one at the vets.  :) 

Mine aren't keen on Dreamies for some reason but love the 'natures:menu' sweeties (they smell terrible!  :wacko:).  Their fave foods though are tuna (Sundays) and prawns (if I want to actually get to eat any I have to buy a large bag and share  :lol:).

Millie is also a really good mouser and the vet always comments on how lovely and clean her teeth are (apparently their little bones act a a king of toothbrush).  Not sure about Izzy though, I think he prefers his food in biscuit form.  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 13:57 »
Lucycat doesn't like dreamies but my daughter's cat goes mad for them when you rustle the bag  :lol:
Quick as a flash and she's there - she's not yet gone through the wall, though  :nowink:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 14:11 »
Lucycat doesn't like dreamies but my daughter's cat goes mad for them when you rustle the bag  :lol:
Quick as a flash and she's there - she's not yet gone through the wall, though  :nowink:
Ah yes, mine can hear 'the rustle' from miles away Mum (or it seems like it anyway)!

Unfortunately, they also associate the sound of a tin being opened with 'tuna time' and more than once I've given in after sad faces when it turns out to be a tin of tomatoes.  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 15:33 »
You big softie  :lol:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 15:39 »
You big softie  :lol:
I really miss eating tuna... :( :lol:

Oliveview

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 23:24 »
It has been a terrible year here in Spain for ticks, the refuge dogs have been badly infected. Even our dogs at home have had ticks, we have treated them.  This has to be one of the worst years ever >:(

Pamela

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 18:54 »
I found that Frontline had stopped working, so switched to Advantage.

Advantage does not treat ticks though.

A relative had a cat treated by the Harmsworth, the fleas he inherited from there, were mega-resistant. The Advantage, wiped them out, hence the switch.

Dreamies are an OK, 2nd place, in my household, But Felix "Goody Bags", are the No. 1 here.  :D

xx
Recall Dog Flea treatment... Fatal

Started by grinling on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post November 16, 2016, 14:21
by mumofstig
xx
Cat flea treatment...fatal Recall product

Started by grinling on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post November 16, 2016, 17:04
by madcat
xx
Spot-on cat wormer v spot-on combined wormer and flea treatment

Started by Goosegirl on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post March 13, 2015, 12:33
by grendel
xx
cats one rule for dogs one for cats

Started by traacyken on Pets without Feathers

60 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 22:25
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 39 queries.