Sweet Pea

• 9 Replies

puravida

• Experienced Member
Sweet Pea
« on: February 10, 2008, 13:41 »
The packet says to plant indoors Jan-March on some Sweet Peas I just picked up.

Will they be okay in one of those free standing plastic mini-greenhouses or will I be wasting my time???

J
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

Trillium

Sweet Pea
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 16:22 »
Depends on where you are. Your avatar doesn't give your location.
You can start the sweet peas in the mini greenhouse but they'll soon outgrow it. They also need hardening off (slowly adapting to outside light and weather) as well as larger pots. Remember that sweet peas are mostly a cool weather plant and won't do as well in later summer.

puravida

• Experienced Member
Sweet Pea
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 16:24 »
Thanks - I am in the Cotswolds near Stroud.
Think I'll chuck a few outside and a few inside and see what happens!

gobs

Sweet Pea
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 18:12 »
I saw early peas and sweet peas up here outdoors (somewhat protected) in March they have been doing fine for me that way.

Once the March frosts gone of course. :lol:

I used to live in Kings Stanley, where are you J?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Sweet Pea
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 12:35 »
I will have to sow mine soon too.  Only bought a couple of packets yesterday as one of them was called Gwendoline which is my first name and it is extemely difficult to find anything with my name.   :D
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
Sweet Pea
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 12:40 »
I sowed some sweet peas last month and put them on my kitchen windowsill until they germinated. They're now in a mini greenhouse and doing well - I think - I've not grown them before so not sure how they should look. The only problem I had was that the seeds seemed to germinate at different rates (I sowed a few different varieties) and the ones that emerged first got a bit drawn by the lack of light before I got them out into the mini greenhouse. The ones that came up last are looking the healthiest - not so 'tall and skinny'  :?

purplebean

Sweet Pea
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 14:11 »
We started some off on the windowsill in January because my four year old (actually me) wanted to get sowing  :D  They have got a little tall but I've just pinched the tops off so I'm hoping they will be OK.

Trillium

Sweet Pea
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 17:48 »
Pinching off the top tips of spindly sweet peas is good - helps them develop bushier bottoms  :lol:  and more flowers later. Another trick for more light is to somehow suspend a sheet of aluminum foil at the back of the growing area to help reflect more light to the back plants.

puravida

• Experienced Member
Sweet Pea
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 19:55 »
Quote from: "gobs"
I saw early peas and sweet peas up here outdoors (somewhat protected) in March they have been doing fine for me that way.

Once the March frosts gone of course. :lol:

I used to live in Kings Stanley, where are you J?

We're over on the other side of town in Chalford. Recently sprung to fame for our campaign to bring back the donkey!!!!

Chalford Donkey

gobs

Sweet Pea
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 20:23 »
Lovely place! 8)

Are you a campaigner then? In any case, don't forget the nappies for the asses on traffic. :wink:  :lol:

Nailsworth used to be the shopping capital around when we were there is it still so?

Ah, I'm all nostalgic now, had very happy times there. Gorgeous walks and views. :tongue2:  :(

xx
sweet pea

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post August 19, 2022, 09:17
by mumofstig
xx
sweet pea

Started by chickpeacurry on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post February 23, 2014, 19:12
by mumofstig
xx
sweet peas

Started by CaroM on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 09:19
by CaroM
xx
When is the best time to sow Sweet Pea

Started by Eblana on General Gardening

22 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 07:37
by Sweetpea C

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 35 queries.