Question about my Tomatoes and Peppers

• 9 Replies

SalJ1980

« on: June 03, 2008, 22:52 »
I sowed my tomatoes and peppers on 13th April. Toms germinated in about a week, peppers took a lot longer (4 weeks).

I pricked them out when they were big enough (have just watched the video Aunty posted and am pleased that I judged the sizes right!) and then planted them on again.

I have 3 of the tomatoes in home-made Self-Watering Containers (2 indoors, 1 in the mini-greenhouse), and another 3 in a growbag (in greenhouse). The 4 biggest peppers are also in a growbag in the greenhouse and I have about 10 more indoors in smaller pots which will need transplanting again soon.

What I'm wondering, is are the toms growing normally? This sounds really funny even as I type it, but considering they were all sowed at the same time, they are all hugely different sizes:

The smallest (about 9 inches high, in SWC outside. One of the indoor ones is also the same size)

The middling ones (9-12 inches high, in growbags)

The biggest (just over 2 foot high - the daddy! in SWC inside)

None have flowers yet, and I'm wondering if they should have or if I just need to be more patient?!

The peppers are all a lot smaller, but then they're 3 weeks behind the toms:

So....any comments / advice / suggestions welcome. Thanks!
Sal

Organic...so far!

tweeky

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 22:59 »
Wish I could help, but I have never grown indoor (green house) toms. So I assume the thin stems are normal?

Peppers do take longer, so I wouldn't worry too much about them. They look healthy enough from your pics. Really, peppers should be planted earlier, especially in a heated green house...so you will have to be patient.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 23:04 »
Your tomatoes are a bit leggy probably due to low light levels.  They look healthy though so should do fine and thicken up as they grow  :D

SalJ1980

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 23:11 »
Thanks Aunty, that's reassuring!

And thanks Tweaky, I know I was a bit late sowing the peppers but thought I'd give it go anyway. And I'd love the option of a heated greenhouse - luxury!

I think my main problem is I just DON'T WANT TO BE PATIENT!!! *stamps foot like a 5yr old!*  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

tweeky

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 23:22 »
Heh,heh

DON'T WANT TO BE PATIENT!!!
I think we are all the same to be honest.

Don't stamp on your grow bags though.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 23:32 »
Well, I take it it's the same variety, and as the smaller neglected ones look healthier than big daddy, I'd take you over-cosseting an outdoor tomato there, well, possibly. Anyhow, I'd take daddy out and water and repot him. :wink:

Peppers look fab. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

SalJ1980

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 23:39 »
yup, all the same variety - Gardener's Delight (cherry toms)

Strangely enough the daddy tom and the other two in SWCs have all been inside until a few days ago (well the daddy still is). The 3 in the growbag have been in the greenhouse (unheated) since they were pricked out on 1st May, due to not having enough space on the window sill for them and I decided to chance it but thought they would die!

Okey doke, will repot daddy and put him in the greenhouse (which is steadily losing shelves as I have to take them out so the tomatoes have space!)

GreenOwl

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 17:01 »
Just to say that my peppers never grow as big at the toms.  I started mine off earlier as well and they're about half the size of the toms so don't worry about the size of the pepper plants.

SalJ1980

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 18:18 »
Thanks GreenOwl!

SkipRat

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 18:28 »
Your plants will grow on ok, like Aunt Sally has pointed out the indoor toms look a little leggy, as they are looking for light. Plants sometimes even tho they have been sown at the same time will differ in size. I planted my toms in greenhouse 2 weeks ago and already the toms in one side of greenhouse are slightly bigger then the other side, dont worry they,l be fine... :D
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

xx
TOMATOES AND PEPPERS

Started by BARNACLE BILL on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 03, 2015, 07:47
by Headgardener22
xx
Tomatoes & Peppers

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 21:59
by chris23005
xx
Tomatoes and Peppers

Started by crilly on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 14, 2014, 09:45
by tangojulie
xx
Pots for tomatoes/peppers

Started by Top Cat on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 30, 2007, 17:42
by Rob the rake

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 35 queries.