Toilet roll tubes

• 34 Replies

Swing Swang

Re: Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 07:30 »
@Kristen

Is that butternut one that you've saved from your September harvest, as it looks great from nearly 4 months in storage?

SS

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 09:56 »
Apparently the only toy that keeps 'the girls' (our 2 gerbils) happy would be toilet rolls. 

How deep did you plant them.
I tried it with chickens last year but they died....I think I planted them upside down :D :D :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 15:13 »
Is that butternut one that you've saved from your September harvest, as it looks great from nearly 4 months in storage?

Yup. They haven't stored as well this year as the previous, and are now starting to get a bit of mould around the ends.  Still usable though.

Difference was (I think) that we had a wetter Autumn, and they had soil attached when I harvested them, which I did not do a very thorough job of cleaning off.  I think I will put a little straw under each one as it matures so it doesn't get a "marked patch".

I cut them with a Tee giving a decent length of stem either side, and put them in the conservatory for at least a week which supposedly ripens the skins.

I read somewhere that light, during storage, helps to maintain the skins too - so a cool spare bedroom may be better than the cupboard (in an unheated utility corridor) that I have mine in

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2011, 17:00 »
Yorkie, that holds good for fibre pots too - completely cover the pot with soil when transplanting.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2011, 17:13 »
Yorkie, that holds good for fibre pots too - completely cover the pot with soil when transplanting.

..........especially so with them! I've stopped using peat pots because in my rather dry soil they remain pretty much intact throughout the summer (OK you can break the pots open a bit before planting to help the roots out but that can be messy and rather defeats the whole object of the exercise!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Toilet roll tubes

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 17:33
by shaun
xx
Toilet roll tubes

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post February 14, 2008, 16:18
by love-my-plot
xx
Toilet Roll Tubes

Started by PupStar on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 19:47
by sunshineband
xx
growing in toilet roll tubes

Started by terry d on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 21:37
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 34 queries.